What calculator is best suitable for Maths HL

Guest SNJERIN

Guest SNJERIN

My. Coordinater told me that everyone how takes maths hl course must have nspire cx GDC, but its kind of expensive. I already have TI-84 plus, do you think its enough or should i get that one. 

I have both XD. I must say, both the Nspire CX and the TI-84 are amazing calculators. I'll give you my opinions and uses for each one. 

Ti-Nspire CX:

This is a very beautiful and quite powerful calculator. It has a backlit screen which means COLORS. This is really neat because most GDC calculators don't have color. Software wise this calculator beats the TI-84. Its software makes all calculations and neat tricks incredibly fast. For example, it has a ton of build in commands e.g. "nsolve()" which solves systems of equations really fast. Although, the Nspire is an absolute boss, I have complaints about the hardware. It is a very thin calculator which is a good thing; however, it is cramped! All the buttons are very small, kind of like chichlet style buttons, and most buttons are even jointed together. This means that you have to be very precise with your pushes but this is something you will get more used to as you use it more and more. Next, I have to complain about the touch-pad. In my opinion it is utterly bad. You can't have more than one finger on it at a time (otherwise it just wont register your movements) and it is very difficult and tedious to use. It is very poor at following my finger around and most of the time I try to avoid using it. I just use the physical buttons that are built in the touch-pad. Finally I have to complain about the screen. Everything is fine about its quality; however, the screen is made out of plastic and not glass. This means that it is very vulnerable to scratching. It wont break, but it will easily get scratches. 

TI-84

You probably know all about this calculator already but I just want to say that I prefer to use this calculator more than the Nspire due to the fact that it is so very easy to use. I think the calculator shines in its hardware. The buttons feel more "mechanical" and they are very well spaced out. The software is very nice too, although it can get quite complicated and difficult to do certain calculations.  

In all, the Nspire brings more software and neat tricks on top of everything that the Ti-84 can do. But I really don't think you need the Nspire. Your TI-84 is good enough.

ps. I used to love the Nspire because I could play gameboy games on it like pokemon XD But one day I updated the os and I didn't realize that TI did some voodoo stuff so that I no emulator can run on it any more. Now I'm stuck playing crappy Lua (programming language used for Nspire) games.  

• 2 weeks later...