Frustrated...

Isaac Wong

Um... as my IB1 comes to an end, it's time for me to decide my future study path. As can be seen from below, i did not take economics but um... i am thinking of something related to management and business. Don't ask me why i did not take econ...(cause this thought came up in the recent years actually, but it's too late sigh...) But um...what do you guys think? Should i still go for it? 

...really depends where you want to apply and what their requirements are. Certainly go for it, but bear in mind that you'll need to check if the place you apply to requires Economics. Don't apply if they do - having inappropriate subjects makes you the first person they strike off when trying to short list. Most Universities in the US don't seem to care much what subjects you did, whereas in the UK they're pretty anal about it. Check.

• Like 2

It doesn't really matter what degree you get to be honest, you can always go into business if you want to.

...really depends where you want to apply and what their requirements are. Certainly go for it, but bear in mind that you'll need to check if the place you apply to requires Economics. Don't apply if they do - having inappropriate subjects makes you the first person they strike off when trying to short list. Most Universities in the US don't seem to care much what subjects you did, whereas in the UK they're pretty anal about it. Check.

Baffled at the extremity of British requirements, never thought you would need certain subjects just to pursue business/economics? Wow.

Baffled at the extremity of British requirements, never thought you would need certain subjects just to pursue business/economics? Wow.

This is something of a mis-interpretation. Check whether there are requirements (because they take them seriously), not 'there are requirements everywhere'. It's a matter of research, all Universities advertise their entry criteria on their websites.

Isaac, where do you want to go to school? I know in the US, while it is preferred that you take something related to your future course of study, it isn't required. If anything, you could write an interesting personal essay about how you switched from whatever to Econ. It would make you a different type of applicant compared to those who a cookie-cutter fits for an Econ major, etc.

This is something of a mis-interpretation. Check whether there are requirements (because they take them seriously), not 'there are requirements everywhere'. It's a matter of research, all Universities advertise their entry criteria on their websites.

There is an implication there however that there is a chance a university somewhere might ask for certain subjects just to pursue business, which in itself is mind boggling, in my opinion, given the nature of the subject. 

Edited by David14

For US Universities, you don't need to apply for a certain major, you can get into the school first and then choose your major before the end of your sophomore year. Many schools like Berkeley actually do not allow you to apply directly to the undergraduate business program anyway, you have to apply in your sophomore year of university. For the UK, you do not need to take business in high school, but Math HL is required for the top programs (which you did so it's ok). Make sure your extra-curriculars are somehow related to your major.

• Like 1

Maybe my sister went to a simpler university, but she went straight into her school of choice, without really having to apply at all. I think the main thing is that you look up what your preferred future university will require, but as stated above, most US universities don't really require a lot of pre-req work, although IB is usually pretty highly regarded and can get you some college credit. Not everyone who goes to college does IB though (obviously), so really you can still do whatever you want to do. They'll probably make you take at least one economics class at a college level anyway.

My school requires we take econ in our senior year (we don't offer IB econ though).

Anyway, is your question whether you should go for college or whether you should go for business? I'd say yes to the first one, for sure.

For the second, it really is up to you. Why do you think you're interested in it if you haven't even taken a class. You do seem to know about math, which plays a big part in economics. 

So, do what you want :)

Thanks guys I have no time to reply in the recent days um...yea thank you for all of your suggestions

um...ofc i am applying hk universities but um for studying abroad either UK or AUS but thanks guys! I am more confident in my choice now and like your point very much @IBidiot(can i do a tag thing? nvm) 

And you guys are right should put this and highlight this in my personal statement:)

Edited by Isaac Wong