subject choices

terribletouw

Hey,

I'm starting IB next year and I'm having trouble choosing my subjects. If someone could give me some advice that would be great. (it's kinda due tomorrow)

So right now I'm planning to take:

Maths HL (this is the only one we have to choose HL now)

Chemistry (will probably do HL)

French B

English Lit

History

Bio or Physics

I'm mainly having issues choosing between biology and physics. We haven't really done much of it before. I'm leaning towards physics but am concerned that I'll end up hating it and not being able to switch. Also my mom really wants me to do bio because she thinks physics is too hard. To anyone who has done my combination of subjects or similar, was the workload too much or was it manageable?

Thank you

I think that your subject choices are fantastic. I'm currently taking Math HL, Chemistry HL, Physics HL, English World Lit HL, Economics SL & French Ab Initio.

First of all, I'd like to start off by saying that Math HL is an extremely challenging subject. So take it only if you're confident enough and sure that you'll have proper guidance through the next two years of studies. Having said that, I think that if you have the thinking capability to cope with Math HL, I would strongly recommend you taking Physics HL as well! These two subjects often twin together in terms of the type of thinking required two excel in them. I think Math and Physics will definitely open up a lot of career paths for you, especially in the engineering fields. So you might want to consider that if you're interested in the engineering fields. Honestly, picking your subjects for IB should come from within you. But if you're still being faced with a self-conflict, you may heed your parent's advice. And I don't know about your schools, but where I'm studying.. there's no such thing as "being stuck in a subject". You can always consult the heads of your school to organize for a subject change. :)

So for you I'd recommend, Math, Physics and Chemistry HL! As challenging as they may be, they're very interesting subjects. But again, it's all up to you. :)

Hope that helped. Cheers!

I personally find Physics HL more difficult than Math HL but it really depends on the person. I think your courses are good, but you should choose whichever science will help your major. That being said, If you are ready for Math HL then you should have no problem in Physics if you are willing to put in the effort. My schedule is quite similar, (but not really), I took Literature, Math, Biology, and Physics at HL (no chemistry) and Economics + French at SL. The workload would be quite similar to the schedule you chose. I find it more than manageable (just don't procrastinate!)

Physics is tough, but I (mostly) don't regret taking it. Physics requires hard work in practising questions to improve on applying the conceptual knowledge you do know, and so does maths. I personally found Physics SL a tad harder than Maths HL! But both are definitely do-able. Biology may arguably easier in terms of the questions asked, but it does require more rote memorisation (or at least what I've heard). So I think that your combination definitely isn't impossible, though it may be more or less hard depending on your own skills. 

I myself am doing Maths HL, Physics HL and Chem SL. I have a friend doing Bio HL instead of Physics and she finds it alright though she says that the only similarity between Chem and Bio was during the options (We did Option B: Biochemistry which obviously has a biology aspect to it).

I on the other hand often found similar or the same concepts being taught in both my physics and chem classes (emission spectra, everything to do with waves, Q= mcdeltaT equations) and it was often really handy to do physics whereas the Bio kids weren't able to pick up some of those concepts as quickly.

Hence, I feel as though in that sense Physics is a better choice. However what is even more important is what sort of area you are looking at for a career (nothing has to be finalised but ask yourself whether the field of work you can picture yourself doing needs physics or bio, which could ever potentially come in handy?).

Also, apparently more students acheive 7s in Physics HL than in Bio HL. Bio requires so much memorizing that makes me glad I do physics!

• 1 month later...