Any IB Art and Design Student Here?

Hi guys! 

I'm just wondering... is Art and Design hard? 

I have posted a thread on The Student Room forum about my subject choices, and someone recommended me there that I shouldn't take Art and Design (the only group 6 subject that my school offers) if it's not necessary for my future degree in university. That person told me it is hard and very time consuming while I can just do art for CAS. 

I plan to take Art and Design SL. I'm not the biggest fan of making art but when I'm inspired, I can do it well. But you know what I mean... I'm not always inspired. 

Someone please help?

Thank you :)

Edited by nguyendieulinh27

• 2 weeks later...

Just one thing..... I need to clear up... Are you planning to take Visual Art as a Group 6 subject only or BOTH Design- group 3 science AND Visual arts- Group 6 Arts? 

Because in the IB subject hexagon, Design and Visual arts are two very different things. 

Design is well... the designing and construction of objects, and so it's treated like a science subject, equal to classic science subjects such as IB Biology, Chem or Physics.

Visual Arts on the other hand is what I'm guessing you're talking about; painting, making sculptures etc? I take this subject and I'm aiming to pursue it at uni (hopefully!) if I pass the IB. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you mean you're only taking VA SL.

It really does depend on the uni course you're taking. But if you don't have any real interest in IB art and you want to get many 7s, rather than looking for the experience, I'd have to suggest that you stay away from arts. Also if you're doing something like medicine, then art's usually not an option!

As one of my peers (and teachers) remarked, many people take a different subject from a different group (usually humanities or sciences) instead of the group 6 subject in IB simply because to take a group 6 subject is immensely difficult! 

Yes, our course is 100% coursework (though I hear it's about to change for visual arts?) but in doing so it requires immense dedication and love of art. Also, SL often have a harder time getting a high score (this is all personal opinion + what I've heard only!) as HL and SL have essentially the same requirements- the only difference is the minimum and maximum number of pieces a person at HL (12-18) has to produce versus that of SL (8-12).

Art is a subject that requires time, so in this situation, SL art is actually a much harder version of HL art as they have less teaching time to produce work in the same methods HL art does! (also it would mean that constant inspiration is required to get good scores)

You can indeed just do art for CAS, and that's what a lot of people in our school do.

I just want you to know that I'm in no way trying to discourage you from taking IB art- it's just that too many people jump into it without considering the impact it can have on the rest of the subjects and they often end up dropping out; meaning they have to play catch-up in another subject. 

All in all, if you're not going for something creative in uni / after IB, I'd suggest you use your CAS to demonstrate your love of art and not taking it. However, if you are dead set on taking it, I wish you the best of luck, and enjoy the journey! it will most certainly teach you much :) 

any other questions, ask away- I'm willing to answer them.

• Like 2

Just one thing..... I need to clear up... Are you planning to take Visual Art as a Group 6 subject only or BOTH Design- group 3 science AND Visual arts- Group 6 Arts? 

Because in the IB subject hexagon, Design and Visual arts are two very different things. 

Design is well... the designing and construction of objects, and so it's treated like a science subject, equal to classic science subjects such as IB Biology, Chem or Physics.

Visual Arts on the other hand is what I'm guessing you're talking about; painting, making sculptures etc? I take this subject and I'm aiming to pursue it at uni (hopefully!) if I pass the IB. 

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume you mean you're only taking VA SL.

It really does depend on the uni course you're taking. But if you don't have any real interest in IB art and you want to get many 7s, rather than looking for the experience, I'd have to suggest that you stay away from arts. Also if you're doing something like medicine, then art's usually not an option!

As one of my peers (and teachers) remarked, many people take a different subject from a different group (usually humanities or sciences) instead of the group 6 subject in IB simply because to take a group 6 subject is immensely difficult! 

Yes, our course is 100% coursework (though I hear it's about to change for visual arts?) but in doing so it requires immense dedication and love of art. Also, SL often have a harder time getting a high score (this is all personal opinion + what I've heard only!) as HL and SL have essentially the same requirements- the only difference is the minimum and maximum number of pieces a person at HL (12-18) has to produce versus that of SL (8-12).

Art is a subject that requires time, so in this situation, SL art is actually a much harder version of HL art as they have less teaching time to produce work in the same methods HL art does! (also it would mean that constant inspiration is required to get good scores)

You can indeed just do art for CAS, and that's what a lot of people in our school do.

I just want you to know that I'm in no way trying to discourage you from taking IB art- it's just that too many people jump into it without considering the impact it can have on the rest of the subjects and they often end up dropping out; meaning they have to play catch-up in another subject. 

All in all, if you're not going for something creative in uni / after IB, I'd suggest you use your CAS to demonstrate your love of art and not taking it. However, if you are dead set on taking it, I wish you the best of luck, and enjoy the journey! it will most certainly teach you much :)

any other questions, ask away- I'm willing to answer them.

Well, my school lists Visual Art as Art and Design. I know it is Visual Art though :)

Alright, seems like Visual Art is not the thing for me!

I've asked in The Student Room forum and some members also recommended me to do art for CAS. Seems like a great option for me.

Thank you for being a great help :)