is humanities the easy way out in IBDP

lola 22

Hi..

I am taking up HL Eco,History and English.

SL Maths,Business and French Ab.

I intend to study law in UK and i believe that my subjects are an appropriate choice.

However my family feels that since undergrad law does not require any specific subjects, I should be studying Physics and Chemistry because they are" challenging" and will make me" work hard".they feel i

am choosing the easy way.Are they right?

I am fond of the subjects Ihave chosen....but my family's opinion has started me thinking.will these subjects make me easy going and laidback?I intend to sweat for a score of atleast 40.

please advise....

Do the subjects that you are good and enjoy because the level of difficulty of subjects varies for different people. HL chemistry is my easiest subject, while Economics is one of my hardest... I want, like every IB student, 40+ as well and any day, I'd choose HL maths, chemsitry and bio than HL economics, history and english. Not because they are "make me work", but because I know that I can score well in them.

And dude, where's your group 4 subject? You cannot have 3 group 3 subjects, unless one of them is ESS. Replace business with physics/ chemistry...

Simran

• Like 5

Humanities is hell for me while you might not enjoy sciences, the difficulty is relative.

Do the subjects you like, because you'll do what you like (instead of what's challenging) in university anyways.

But yes, get a group 4 subject, unless you can apply for irregular diploma but since you don't have required subjects for law I highly doubt that you can.

You don't really need sciences for Law, so it's up to you whether you want to take them to HL or not. Obviously you need to have at least *ONE* science as everybody else has pointed out...

As to whether you're choosing the easy way, it really depends on you. We all have things we find easy or hard. Personally I always found humanities much easier than sciences, but as the above person points out, that is not a universal experience :P I had to do sciences regardless, and I certainly worked a lot harder and challenged myself much more than if I'd done all humanities at HL. It probably brought my score down, and if I had been able to just do whatever I wanted, I wouldn't have done it - but it's whatever matches with your Uni aspirations.

So whatever my friend. If you want a high score and you find humanities easy - plus humanities are all that's needed for your course - then why stress out doing something else?! It's still a lot of work to do the humanities. There are very few IB courses which really don't need much work, but obviously what comes naturally is always more accessible. Be happy if you find your required subjects easy. Some people struggle with things you find easy - and vice versa, of course. You've hit the requirements for Law so stress ye not. If you want to challenge yourself by taking subjects you find difficult, then it's up to you, but it may harm your total points.

But yeah, get a science in there so you meet the diploma requirements... replace Business with something. Business is one of the 'softer' subjects at IB (to the extent any one of them really can be soft) so it makes sense anyway.

• Like 1

As Sandwich pointed out, humanities aren't necessarily easy just because most People think that's the case. In fact humanities can be much more difficult, especially if you take 3 of them. You have to be very confident about your writing and time Managing skills, becaus you will be assigned one paper after another. I know that I couldn't Keep that up for Long and anyway I'm more of a sciences type, so I Chose biology and chemistry.

But my opinion is that in the end it Comes down to your preferences, because you are the one who will have to get through it.:)

The truth is - there exists NO easy way out of IB haha :P

We have the same HLs and i am in year2 right now , and believe me i have to work atleast as hard , if not more , as my peers taking all 3 sciences. It all depends on what you like to study and since you have no particulars to worry about , do what you wish to , it's one of those choices in life you shouldn't regret :)

Have Fun with the IB , it's beautiful :D

Hi..

I am taking up HL Eco,History and English.

SL Maths,Business and French Ab.

I intend to study law in UK and i believe that my subjects are an appropriate choice.

However my family feels that since undergrad law does not require any specific subjects, I should be studying Physics and Chemistry because they are" challenging" and will make me" work hard".they feel i

am choosing the easy way.Are they right?

I am fond of the subjects Ihave chosen....but my family's opinion has started me thinking.will these subjects make me easy going and laidback?I intend to sweat for a score of atleast 40.

please advise....

On behalf of everyone who has ever taken the IB, I can assure you that it will most definitely not make you "easy going and laidback".

It's all fun and games, "not challenging", etc, until you realize holy **** you've got three essay writing exams in one day and you start having nightmares about Macbeth arguing Monetary policy with Stanley Kowalski.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice.

Yes I realised iam missing the group 4 subject.

As per my school I can drop History HL then I will get ESS.

If I drop business SL then I get Bio SL.

I find Bio useless for my future....so will be dropping History.:(:(:(

Now my choice is English language and litt HL. Maths SL

Eco HL. ESS SL

Business HL. French AB initio

I hope these are fine.i would love to take history but don't want bio that comes with it.

Or does business and ESS together look "lightweight".

Well, generally speaking ESS is considered "less challenging" than Bio SL but I guess universities don't care that much about SL subjects. Especially for Law which has no offical subject requirements.

If you want to study in the UK, then you should rather focus on choosing the courses that would provide you the highest score (assuming, of course, you have met the requirements given by the university). Then ESS wouldn't be a problem.

If you really can't combine History HL with Biology SL then try to choose a subject combination that would provide you the highest score. In UK overall score is more important than the difficulty of the courses (as long as you take rather traditional "hard" subjects, of course, and don't show that you have chosen the easiest way round).

Also, for Law it would be better if you chose English Literature HL instead of English Lang&Lit HL. Literature is a heavily essay-based subject and essay-based subjects are well received at Law.

Good luck on your future choices! :)

Edited by Sceptyczka

One thing I can say is HL History is anything but easy. It involves essay skills that take a while to muster and there is so much content for the course that it requires mass memorization. I really enjoyed HL History and English though and would definitely recommend them. I don't think they're an easy way out and are worth studying. But chose whatever you are most comfortable with, because at the end of the day with the IB it is all about the grades.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

English and Economics aren't easy and I would  know because  do both... They require a lot of effort and time into learning everything. The English exam for example requires you to remember at least 70 quotations and why and how those effects in the quotations are effective or not... You have to do this whilst learning and taking in every other subject...Economics requires  you to understand the fundamental theories and then link them into all the other theories you have learned. However... if you feel as though you would enjoy Chemistry and Physics then do it... I was forced by my parents to do Biology, Chemistry and History as highers initially but I didn't enjoy it so i changed subjects... Good luck and all the best... :)  

Personally, Psychology, Economics, and English are my easiest subjects, not that I struggle with Maths anymore since we switched teacher but Physics is still a lot harder than any other subject I have.

Choose the subjects that you are comfortable with and you will do fine :)