Lack of faith from coordinator...

SallyShariff

Hey guys :) ,

So basically me and my coordinator had a one on one about my course selection, with emphasis on my choice of taking French B HL.

I'm pretty fluent in the language, despite never been in the immersion program and not having any francophone relatives. Idek how I even learned it now that I think about it.

Anyways I wanted to take it bc I hope to study in Quebec in the future, along side with the fact that my other option is Geo HL- not the worst but it doesn't interest me at all.

She however is skeptical about it, so we talked about it, and I took some oral and writing tests. My oral is good, however my writing is what she described as 'elementary'. She also said there's a lot of work involved, and the since the majority of my mark will be based on writing (essays and such), she thinks the highest I can attain is a 5 :/ not the worst, but..

So for those of you who took a language B HL, how did you improve your writing, and how difficult are the literature that they added to the new syllabus? Or should I go for the easy 7 and stick with SL?

• Like 1

I didn't do a Language B HL (Latin sort of isn't a 'normal' language, and I did Latin at SL), but I may be able to provide some advice especially about Geography HL.

As to whether you should go for French B SL/HL, from the information you've provided it does seem that you will have to put a lot of work into improving writing to achieve in the 5-7 range. If you disagree with the co-ordinator's opinion on your French writing skill, perhaps you could do another set of tests/get someone else to analyse the results.

I think that Geography HL might be easier - whilst it is undeniably a lot of work, it can be learnt through making good notes, memorising them, and then practising exam questions. Whilst it is harder to learn without that much of an interest in geography, it's general enough in terms of relating to important contemporary issues that it shouldn't feel that boring, hopefully!

An easy 7 in French B SL does sound nice, but that shouldn't be your only reason for choosing SL over HL. :)

I'm not doing geography but I am doing French B (however only SL), but I received the same kinda thing from my coordinator and other school teachers pre-IB. Personally I think that it's more to do with your own work ethic and how much time and energy you're willing to put in to this subject to get your best mark. Don't worry that your writing maybe isn't the best, just put in more time to practice it alongside your teacher and I'm sure you'll do fine. That's also why it's important to choose the subjects and HLs that you actually want to do, or else you just won't be motivated enough to get a decent grade if you're doing something you'd rather not.

To be honest, the difference between SL and HL for languages is not that large - and of course you get more lesson time for HL languages so perversely it makes it easier to pick it up because you're exposed to it and practice it more often. On the other hand my knowledge of French B HL is based on the old syllabus pre-literature, so I can't comment on how much difficulty that adds to the B languages - maybe ask somebody in the year above you?

But they can't have changed the level of language required that much - basically if I were you, I'd go for it. Writing you improve BY writing. If you know it's a weak point, you can focus on it. Writing was always the hardest part for me as well, and just churning out loads of essays plus reading things in French is a useful thing. Most of it is refining your grammar, which is very very easy to spot errors in with writing (compared to speaking where you can kind of gloss over a lot of stuff!!).

If you put the work in, you'll get the grades out - especially if you have a motivation like NEEDING the language to study somewhere. That's my opinion. :P

• Like 3

I just wanted to add that I was kinda nervous about taking IB Spanish HL at the start of IB, since I had taken a year off Spanish before and it hadn't always been my strongest subject in middle school. However, now after taking my IB HLs, I feel like Spanish was definitely my strongest IB exam and I am seriously expecting a 7. Languages are much easier to fix gaps in than other subjects, since our minds are naturally somewhat attuned to picking up languages. I don't know how it would have been for me with a different teacher though, since I think my Spanish teacher was great at making use of lesson time and teaching us everything we needed to know, so I could really see myself improve in my Spanish as time went on and led to me feeling really confident for the IB exam.Though obviously people have different affinities for language, but from your story, it sounds like you do have that natural affinity, so it shouldn't be a problem XP.

Another reason for taking French B HL for you though is that around exam time, you don't need as much revision, since you should have already developed a decent vocabulary and grammatical ability in the language and so on, meaning you can devote more study time to other subjects! Also, many people can learn a new language to a level equivalent to IB HL by just living in a country where the language is spoken for a few months. Thus, if you just immerse yourself in French at the start of your course, just by reading or watching tv in French, you will improve tremendously. I think in languages, consistent hard work is very much rewarded, since you consistently develop your abilities, and it's hard to cram a language except with consideration to grammar conjugations etc. So if you work hard through-out the course, you will reap the reward come exam time. Conversely, in a subject like history, which is memorization based to a degree, even if you work hard during the course, you will still need to study very hard to be able to remember all the information for the exam. But your French will definitely improve as IB goes on, and though at first the highest you could hope for is a 5, with consistent work you can raise it to a 7. I know it did with me, though my language was Spanish B HL instead, and even though I was scared about my foundational knowledge, it's weird how fast you can pick up a language when you use it every day in class ;)

• Like 2

I just wanted to add that I was kinda nervous about taking IB Spanish HL at the start of IB, since I had taken a year off Spanish before and it hadn't always been my strongest subject in middle school. However, now after taking my IB HLs, I feel like Spanish was definitely my strongest IB exam and I am seriously expecting a 7. Languages are much easier to fix gaps in than other subjects, since our minds are naturally somewhat attuned to picking up languages. I don't know how it would have been for me with a different teacher though, since I think my Spanish teacher was great at making use of lesson time and teaching us everything we needed to know, so I could really see myself improve in my Spanish as time went on and led to me feeling really confident for the IB exam.Though obviously people have different affinities for language, but from your story, it sounds like you do have that natural affinity, so it shouldn't be a problem XP.

Another reason for taking French B HL for you though is that around exam time, you don't need as much revision, since you should have already developed a decent vocabulary and grammatical ability in the language and so on, meaning you can devote more study time to other subjects! Also, many people can learn a new language to a level equivalent to IB HL by just living in a country where the language is spoken for a few months. Thus, if you just immerse yourself in French at the start of your course, just by reading or watching tv in French, you will improve tremendously. I think in languages, consistent hard work is very much rewarded, since you consistently develop your abilities, and it's hard to cram a language except with consideration to grammar conjugations etc. So if you work hard through-out the course, you will reap the reward come exam time. Conversely, in a subject like history, which is memorization based to a degree, even if you work hard during the course, you will still need to study very hard to be able to remember all the information for the exam. But your French will definitely improve as IB goes on, and though at first the highest you could hope for is a 5, with consistent work you can raise it to a 7. I know it did with me, though my language was Spanish B HL instead, and even though I was scared about my foundational knowledge, it's weird how fast you can pick up a language when you use it every day in class ;)

Thank you so much, I'll really take your advice seriously ! :) Were you part of the new syllabus ? I heard they added 2 works of literature to increase the difficulty.

• Like 1

Thank you so much, I'll really take your advice seriously ! :) Were you part of the new syllabus ? I heard they added 2 works of literature to increase the difficulty.

I did French B Hl for may session 2014 and I was part of th new syllabus. I cannot add much to what those wonderful people said but to just practice writing regularly and let your teacher check it continously. When I first got into the course, I thought that by writing will really affect my grade. But after finishing my exam I thanked Allah and my teacher that it turned out really easy! And this all because she gave me the hardest possible essay questions and regular feedback. You have 50 percent non exam course so accelerate! They have only added the two literature works to help you with your written tasks, and you can always choose the easiest 2 with your teacher. One advantage of French B HL is that you can actually prepare for the written task and have an idea about it. The other main difference is that they added a section B in HL where it is more of a tok question regarding the core syllabus. So really be a risk taker and take it!
  • Like 1

I did French B Hl for may session 2014 and I was part of th new syllabus. I cannot add much to what those wonderful people said but to just practice writing regularly and let your teacher check it continously. When I first got into the course, I thought that by writing will really affect my grade. But after finishing my exam I thanked Allah and my teacher that it turned out really easy! And this all because she gave me the hardest possible essay questions and regular feedback. You have 50 percent non exam course so accelerate! They have only added the two literature works to help you with your written tasks, and you can always choose the easiest 2 with your teacher. One advantage of French B HL is that you can actually prepare for the written task and have an idea about it. The other main difference is that they added a section B in HL where it is more of a tok question regarding the core syllabus. So really be a risk taker and take it!

Thank you ! :) Have you taken any French classes/courses prior to taking French B HL? If so for how long? I'm really unsure due to the fact that most of the people I know taking the course are pretty advanced in the language, and they themselves say that it is challenging. :/

but inshaallah... i hope it works out

Edited by SallyShariff
  • Like 1

Thank you ! :) Have you taken any French classes/courses prior to taking French B HL? If so for how long? I'm really unsure due to the fact that most of the people I know taking the course are pretty advanced in the language, and they themselves say that it is challenging. :/

but inshaallah... i hope it works out

Inshallah you will... I was just taking regular french lessons in MYP prior to French B HL... so it wasn't a real contributor