SL/HL Geography Paper 1

thirdculturekid

I answered the essay on rapid population growth causing soil degradation and reduced biodiversity. I was happy because I studied a similar question right before the exam.

I didn't know the energy flow of greenhouse gases :dontgetit:

Edited by 2to10

Time Zones seem to be really weird this year, Greece had TZ1 while Central Europe had TZ2 with Asia for Physics, so it's possible you had the same paper! I at least had the same one as you guys lol.

I did the one with soil degradation as well, but my essay writing skills had deserted me there D: I had an exam before that so I was sorta drained. Knew my case studies though, hopefully those will do the explanations for me. The one about global warming I just went full Physics because they wanted energy flows :P no idea if they will appreciate it though, its not that physics intensive. The short answer questions seemed pretty easy, I just hope I got all marks when I answered those 2+ mark definition ones.

Time Zones seem to be really weird this year, Greece had TZ1 while Central Europe had TZ2 with Asia for Physics, so it's possible you had the same paper! I at least had the same one as you guys lol.

I did the one with soil degradation as well, but my essay writing skills had deserted me there D: I had an exam before that so I was sorta drained. Knew my case studies though, hopefully those will do the explanations for me. The one about global warming I just went full Physics because they wanted energy flows :P no idea if they will appreciate it though, its not that physics intensive. The short answer questions seemed pretty easy, I just hope I got all marks when I answered those 2+ mark definition ones.

Yeah, I just ended up defining it and giving examples with some bs explanation about energy flow. Pretty bummed out about it.

And I found out I messed up on the millennium development goal question because I said sub-section C was about infant mortality when it was really about maternal care. Lol, thank God it was 1 point

I did the one about gender equality. the question about energy flow was it about like short wavelength radiation from the sun and long wavelength radiation from the earth and the natural greenhouse effect? cause that's what i basically talked about

I had the same exam too, but I ended up answering the question on over depandance/reliance on oil. On the energy flow question I wrote about short and longwave radiation as well as the reflection/re-emission as a result of greenhouse gasses. I felt pretty good about paper 1 overall.

Edited by PhilB

I had the same exam too, but I ended up answering the question on over depandance/reliance on oil. On the energy flow question I wrote about short and longwave radiation as well as the reflection/re-emission as a result of greenhouse gasses. I felt pretty good about paper 1 overall.

Yeah, I said something similar. I hope I get partial credit.

The paper was pretty good I think. The MDG question was unexpected but I guessed the MDGs correctly. The greenhouse effect thing seemed pretty broad but I first defined the greenhouse effect and explained it in terms of insolation, long wave radiation, the absorption of heat by earth and the atmosphere and how the greenhouse effect can be affected by humans. For the essay, I did question 7 - the one about oil dependance - because I had no other proper case studies for the other questions.

I answered the essay on rapid population growth causing soil degradation and reduced biodiversity. I was happy because I studied a similar question right before the exam.

Oh I found the exact question in one of the past papers about greenhouse gases. One mark is just mentioning the greenhouse gases like for e.g. carbon dioxide, methane, water vapour etc. Then there are other marks for the explanation, short wave coming in from sun, long wave going out, long-wave trapped by greenhouse gases. And then obviously stating that this causes climate change/global warming. Pretty easy marks, hope you got it.

Oh I found the exact question in one of the past papers about greenhouse gases. One mark is just mentioning the greenhouse gases like for e.g. carbon dioxide, methane, water vapour etc. Then there are other marks for the explanation, short wave coming in from sun, long wave going out, long-wave trapped by greenhouse gases. And then obviously stating that this causes climate change/global warming. Pretty easy marks, hope you got it.

Thanks. I feel relieved now because I included all you said.

Could somebody tell me which MDG was implied in the question?

And also, which ones would not work for the question that followed?

Thanks.

It was C which was improving maternal health (you could also say reducing maternal mortality and get the mark). A was eradicating extreme poverty and B was the primary education one. So you can't use those 3 the question after where is asks you to list 2 others.