TOK what to expect?

Clockwork

I'm currently in the last year of MYP, I'm looking forward to DP especially TOK. I would just like to ask for TOK will we explore the philosophical ideas, branches and movements such as Existentialism, Nihilism, Metaphysics, Logic and Introspection besides Epistemology?

Hi,

The course isn't related to philosophy, but rather how we know what we know. So maybe some schools focus more on philosophy, but as the previous answer stated, it isn't advised, and definitely not what the TOK essay is about :)

TOK won't focus on the philosophical periods and the various philosophers. As you said it will mainly concentrate on epistemology (knowing about knowing). The course's structure kind of goes against the whole principle behind TOK which goes against the concept ideas ect. You will look at areas of knowledge and ways of knowing. As you go through the course you will encounter philosopher is certain periods but they won't be the focus of the course. Nevertheless a broad jnowlege on philosophcal history is extremely usefull.

PS don't worry about, most people tend to oversestimate TOK. The only real difficulty is the essay.

On the topic of TOK, I'm perplexed by the introduction of Religion and Faith in TOK. Isn't religion, per definition, not based on knowledge?

I wrote my essay using religion, it actually surprised me how it is an area of knowledge. I loved the process,because it was a new perspective hah

I'm currently in the last year of MYP, I'm looking forward to DP especially TOK. I would just like to ask for TOK will we explore the philosophical ideas, branches and movements such as Existentialism, Nihilism, Metaphysics, Logic and Introspection besides Epistemology?

Hahahaha

ToK has almost nothing to do with the things you just mentioned. Rather, it is an exercise in critical thinking and logic (not the philosophical type of logic, I'm talking common sense logic here).

If you want to study the things you mentioned in the first post, Philosophy is where you can cover those things. I did SL Philosophy and thought it was great. I recommend it to anyone who can write a decent essay/construct an argument, because if you can do those things it's an easy 7 and also really interesting at the same time. Or it was for me, anyway! It's definitely much easier than History as your humanities subject. You don't really have to learn very much, you can make most of it up, in fact I think that's almost the idea.

TOK is more or less just the study of the TOK hexagon thing: %257B2BE6002C-52B6-4011-B6BB-788B004673B9%257D.JPG

If you can explain the differences between the things in that diagram, you've aced TOK.

"Religion" and "Faith" have been added recently. Personally I also think that it's not legit knowledge in the sense that 'faith' is essentially defined as a lack of knowledge - more or less, all it is saying is that you know something anyway via mysterious external forces and NOT through any gain in actual real world knowledge. Anyway, you can always avoid questions with it in if you fancy. I think it was put in mostly for religious people. As a non-religious person it's really a moot discussion point, I always feel.

On the topic of TOK, I'm perplexed by the introduction of Religion and Faith in TOK. Isn't religion, per definition, not based on knowledge?

I wrote my essay using religion, it actually surprised me how it is an area of knowledge. I loved the process,because it was a new perspective hah

Isn't religion being introduced in the TOK syllabus starting May 2015? As far as I know, it isn't a designated way of knowing in the current syllabus.

Edited by Negotiation