To what extent can one "make up" stuff in one's B&M IA?

Background:
For my IA I have selected a sole-trader business of a distant relative. We don't talk often but he agreed to give me some info on his business (It's a sushi restaurant).

Since the IA requires the candidate to make use of a lot of methods of primary research. However, I cannot use as many primary research methods (e.g. interviews or focus groups) mainly because of the geographical and emotional distance between myself and my relative (He's in Missouri and I live in New Mexico).

That brings me to my question - Can a candidate cook stuff for his/her IA (for e.g. fill up questionnaires himself/herself)? If yes, have any of done this before? Also, to what extent can someone make up stuff in his/her IA (e.g can someone just lie about one questionnaire or can he/she go as far as doing an IA on a business that doesn't exist)?

Would they catch you? Probably not, so long as you don't say ridiculous things.

It it moral? Probably not. It kind of defeats the purpose of trying to teach you how to have methods of primary research.

Has anyone done it? I haven't on any of my IAs. I know my chem teacher mentions how people make up data for their IA every year, and it is super obvious. I do not know how obvious it would be in your case in B&M. What would you make up? Hopefully not financial statistics about his business. If it is a focus group you're making up, that might be spottable. Won't you have to state how you did it anyway? If you can come up with a way to do it, why would you not just do it?

Doing such thing is strictly prohibited and if they caught you then you will be in trouble. If you fill all the questionnaires yourself chances that the moderator will find some pattern in your surveys and they will become suspicious. Usually as far as I observed, most of the data collected are not perfect and the responses are usually mixed up. Also my assessor said that all then supporting documents and the survey findings must be authentic as the IB can ask your school to furnish evidence if they find your survey finding suspicious.

If you really want to do IA on your topic, distance won't matter if you have determination to complete your IA. Firstly you should interact with your uncle and you must explain that your work will benefit him, because in BNM IA's you are supposed to analyze the strengths and weakness of the company and you will also give solution to the management. (In fact my business sir said that if my IA turns out to be excellent, he might give my report to Nissan, {my topic} once my IB is over :D) So you could give this reason to your uncle and win his trust to give all the primary data. You can give soft copy of your questionnaire to your uncle and ask him to give it to his customers.

And this is not related to IA, but just I will give you a suggestion to establish a close relationship between your uncle. Talk to him weekly, enquire about his business and you can even give him present during his birthday! By doing this you will be breaking the ice between you and your uncle and you might also gain confidence while interacting with him.

Hope my advice helps. :) Good luck for your IA!

Edited by Black Bird Lockheed

It it moral? Probably not. It kind of defeats the purpose of trying to teach you how to have methods of primary research.

Has anyone done it? I haven't on any of my IAs. I know my chem teacher mentions how people make up data for their IA every year, and it is super obvious. I do not know how obvious it would be in your case in B&M. What would you make up? Hopefully not financial statistics about his business. If it is a focus group you're making up, that might be spottable. Won't you have to state how you did it anyway? If you can come up with a way to do it, why would you not just do it?

You're absolutely right. It's morally wrong. Jesus would never forgive me.

But this is just a last resort option that crossed my mind; this is something I would have to do if he denies to cooperate.

You're absolutely right. It's morally wrong. Jesus would never forgive me.

But this is just a last resort option that crossed my mind; this is something I would have to do if he denies to cooperate.

Why can't you just ask a local business near you if you could work with them then? I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you asked politely.

• Like 1