Studying Physics on the UK

ana21cg

Hello,

I was wondering if I really have a chance studying physics in a good university (especially with a scholarship) if I am taking the following subjects. Please do note that my school only offers these subjects so I have no other option to choose from, which is very frustrating and the main reason why I doubt universities such as Oxford could consider me for a scholarship, assuming I actually get in.

Language and Literature (Spanish) HL

English A HL

History HL

Chemistry SL

Mathematical Studies SL

Economics SL

Most, if not all, require IB students to take Physics HL and Mathematics HL and obviously my school doesn't offer me those subjects, not even Math SL. Therefore, do you believe I have any sort of chance? If so, which subjects of the ones I am taking should I worry the most (getting a good grade and so on)?

Even though my school does not offer Physics as an IB subject, I do take it as a requirement of my school's national programme, however it is vague and not even close of covering topics covered in IB Physics.

I graduate in May 2015 and I am pretty sure I should start soon doing all my applications and processes.

Also, which good universities do you recommend for studying Physics on the UK?

Thank you very much for the help.

If you'd like to know as extra information regarding my academic performance to answer all my doubts, I think it should be good you know I have an average of 9.9 out of 10 (national system grading) in Physics (national programme) and a global average of all subjects I take of 9.4 out of 10.

Again, thank you.

If the national programme is recognized then you have to apply using that system.

If not then probably find a way to take physics and math from a recognized system because really, math studies is not even barely enough, let alone not having physics as one of your diploma subjects.

For physics you are usually expected to take A-level physics, math and (encouraged but not required by Oxford judging from their website http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses-listing/physics) AS-level further math, which is roughly equivalent to IB math HL and physics HL. You'll probably have to learn some additional material by yourself though.

(The A-level syllabus for physics, and the mechanics part in A-level mathematics has, in my opinion, more "stuff" than IB physics HL, so if your school programme does not cover as much as IB physics then it's most probably not recognized)

There is this PAT thing (physics aptitude test) required for admission so check the past papers out. I've looked through them, the questions aren't too hard and if you have knowledge of math HL and physics HL most problems should be accessible (although there are minor topics not covered by IB), this should help you determine how you're going to do if you apply this year.

If you know most of the stuff in the paper then you can probably find a way of convincing them that you've got enough knowledge for university (for example if you got 1, 1 in STEP this year they are most probably not going to doubt your ability to do well in math, sorry I don't know a physics example but there are plenty of mechanics questions in STEP), if not, switch to a recognized system (but before that finish reading my post).

Speaking of scholarships, UK universities rarely give scholarships to international students, especially to non-EU students...

Languages and humanities at HL, sciences and mathematics at SL, mathematics at studies level and two group 3 subjects seems to be quite contrary from what universities would expect for science students, why didn't you choose another school/go to a different system?

PS: No offense but are you sure you want to study physics? According to what you said you don't have much experience in that subject, but if you're applying for the subject for university you should probably know more than what's required to 1.ensure that you do like the subject 2. show the university that you do have passion and knowledge required for the subject.

Edited by ssy
  • Like 1

Yes I know. I also did some research on that test. However there are some things I forgot to mention and should probably answer your questions.

a) I didn't have an option to choose another school. I have been in it my whole life (12 years), and changing from one another is not so economically accessible, plus, I'd have only one option since only three schools offer the IB programme in this country, and one of them is 100% taught in German, which I do not speak.

b) I do have a lot of understanding of physics, which would only require me a little extra work.

c) I am Italian, so I have all EU privileges, which I am aware and informed.

d) My national system is not an option. It is too superficial, so I believe I should take the test you mention.

It is very hard to pursue what you like, especially when society pushes women, especially in this country, to only pursue careers of communication and business management, leaving no door to science. Wanting to study any sort of science here is quite Utopian, which is why I have the necessity of studying abroad.

So no, I have no doubt of what I want to study, I am just asking for help because I am obviously aware of my situation, especially taking math studies, believe me, I know how awfully outputting is to have that IB background when applying to such careers. I have several classmates dealing with the very same problem (required to take Physics HL and Math HL).

Thank you very much for your time and advices, I will take them into account. Good luck with your upcoming exams! I believe you will do wonderful! Thank you.

Yes I know. I also did some research on that test. However there are some things I forgot to mention and should probably answer your questions.

a) I didn't have an option to choose another school. I have been in it my whole life (12 years), and changing from one another is not so economically accessible, plus, I'd have only one option since only three schools offer the IB programme in this country, and one of them is 100% taught in German, which I do not speak.

b) I do have a lot of understanding of physics, which would only require me a little extra work.

c) I am Italian, so I have all EU privileges, which I am aware and informed.

d) My national system is not an option. It is too superficial, so I believe I should take the test you mention.

Oh your flag says El Salvador so I thought you were international. If you're an EU student then the finance problem is much less of an issue (at least in my opinion as I'm international) as the tuition fee is much cheaper and the scholarships available are much more abundant.

Seeing your situation it seems that you just have to somehow prove that you know the stuff for physics (for passion it's more showed in the personal statement). I don't know how strict Oxford is on this matter though, but since there are more and more home-schooled applicants I think there is a way.

Never mind. I did some research and realized that PAT is not the same as STEP. For the PAT it seems to be for all candidates, it's not like you'll have to get through part of the selection process to the interview or the offer before the test (candidates can take STEP before applying but that's quite rare). So try to do well in that one as that's a chance offered to show your knowledge regardless of their first impressions of you. If you excel that one and have a good PS+reference then at least you'll get to the interview, what happens next mainly depends on the interview though.

Probably find a physics teacher/professor that knows you and your situation to write the reference for you so you could get the issue explained without ranting about your national system in your PS (which would obviously be a bad idea), that would be very helpful.

It is very hard to pursue what you like, especially when society pushes women, especially in this country, to only pursue careers of communication and business management, leaving no door to science. Wanting to study any sort of science here is quite Utopian, which is why I have the necessity of studying abroad.

So no, I have no doubt of what I want to study, I am just asking for help because I am obviously aware of my situation, especially taking math studies, believe me, I know how awfully outputting is to have that IB background when applying to such careers. I have several classmates dealing with the very same problem (required to take Physics HL and Math HL).

Wow, I thought your school didn't offer physics HL and math HL to everyone (instead of to you alone). Forcing people to take a subject combination instead of the one that fits their need not because that's the only possible combination offered, but because of stereotypes is just plainly wrong...

Strangely at my school everyone taking math/physics/chemistry HL this year are girls... but most of us have Asian background which forms another stereotype (and that's just 4 people in total anyways, everyone else dropped).

I was concerned, but as you do know what you are doing and how you should do I think you'll be fine. Good luck on IB and university applications!

• Like 1

No, no, it is not that I can't take those subjects and others can, no. They only have these courses available for everyone right now, which in my situation (of what I want to study) is a bit offputting. However I do appreciate those subjects because they are great programmes and I attend a very good school and not all third world people can have that luxury; so I am very grateful for that. It is good to know I have other options, and I believe I will receive some kind of credit (sometimes universities requiere to take specific subjects common to any career and I have beentold sometimes your IB subjects give credit for those uni subjects) so its not for nothing. Thank you very much for your advices, I will definitely take them into consideration.