Psych Paper 1

IBwanting2survive

So, as I was studying for psych paper 1, I came across this learning outcome in the Cognitive Level of Analysis:

3.6 Evaluate two models or theories of one cognitive process with reference to research studies.

I had originally planned to discuss memory as my cognitive process, using Schema as a theory (studies by Brewer and Treyen as well as Bartlett) with the Atkinson and Shiffrin Multistore model (study also by Sperling). But I'm concerned... Should I use ONLY 2 theories or ONLY 2 models? Or, is it ok that I have used one model and one theory? Can I lose points for that?

Guest Viska

It says evaluate which means finding the strengths/weaknesses of two models OR theories. So I would say that it means either two models or two theories so no one theory and one model.

It says evaluate which means finding the strengths/weaknesses of two models OR theories. So I would say that it means either two models or two theories so no one theory and one model.

I don't remember what the rules are, but I've just found my in-class essay on this topic with a really good grade and I evaluated two models.

I don't which textbook you are using for psychology but in the green book (pearsons I think, not the blue course companion) it is set up very clearly, in that first two (or three) theories are discussed and compared and then two models (two big and one small) are discussed and then compared.

You can to an extent answer how you want, or how you interpret the LO (it's very hard to say what is completely wrong and what is the only right answer) I still think you wouldn't be able to evaluate a theory against a model as well as you could evaluate two theories or two models. I think your question is completely valid and I'm surprised that I always opted for the two theory comparison, whilst my friend always opted for the two models and that I never thought to mix and match. I memorized the summarized comparison between the two models so I just never thought to compare them to the theories I suppose.