Waste of time?

jennyrust

Does anyone else think TOK is a waste of our time?

My school has two hour lessons and trying to sit through two hours of TOK is soo difficult every week that we have ended up hating it.

I know that it is about the teacher who teaches it to you but does anyone else think TOK is a waste of the little time we have available to us in the IB?

Jenny

I loved TOK. It was my favourite class, actually.

I suppose it depends on your teacher then. You had a brilliant teacher who went out of his way to help and make things interesting.

Some have monotonous teachers entirely subjective to their ideas, treating ToK as a physical subject (science-related) rather than an abstract subject.

• 2 weeks later...

it would be a waste of time, if i didnt have a pretty good teacher.. i think its a good lesson (2 lessons of 40 minutes a week),

we get to sort of relax from the stressful subjects (physics and maths), and just talk about stuff.. which is interesting!

but the essay and presentations are useful, because you practice talking in front of people, and writing, which is needed

for uni and work later on in life.

i went through 3 different TOK teachers, so i have seen it taught form many different ways. sometimes it is interesting and sometimes it is a wast of time. we didn't do a lot of essay writting though so for ever said tat it deffinatly wasn't preperation for us at all, but it was more of a preperation for public speaking whichj is something i love, so i liked it for that, and sometimes it was fun, and we got into really good conversation with very few "attacks". so if you have a teacher who doesn't know what he or she is doing then it is gonna seen like a wast of time, but if you hae a teacher who understands the purpose of the class, then it a great class. some of my best moemories come out of my TOK class with the first teacher.

i love ToK personally. maybe it depends on how its taught- are your classes highly discussion based or work based? most of our classes are long discussions and most everyone gets involved. i think its great, relaxing, not much writing, given a reason to argue with the teacher. but i guess if you take ToK as well as philosophy it might be a bit of an overload if its not your cup of tea

Certainly no. But i admit that it isn't easy to sit through 2 hours in a row. But anyway, practice makes perfect (i mean that the long hours of TOK studies could benefit you some day) ;]

I agree. Though I think TOK is boring and a total waste of time in the beginning of the year, now I am starting to see the point of it. ;) I can see why it is boring when no one dares to raise their hands to answer, and the teacher just so desperately getting the class into a class discussion. Depends on what do you do in the class, what your goals are in TOK: practice speaking, learn controversies, essays, socializing, playing cards, nintendo DS, studying for a test etc. It is still a good class, once in a life time, so make the best out it. In fact, make the best out of everything. :P

STOP PROCRASTINATING NOW! :P That was for me... mostly... :P

I'm going to take TOK this year, but this is what I know from my teacher (to be confirmed later this year)

- She reads the newspaper to the class every day in the beginning of class (50 mins every day)

- she's more focused on who's going to win the oscars and movies coming out than actual news

- no one does anything - blow off class

- yet tests are really hard

does that sound like TOK to you?

I'm going to take TOK this year, but this is what I know from my teacher (to be confirmed later this year)

- She reads the newspaper to the class every day in the beginning of class (50 mins every day)

- she's more focused on who's going to win the oscars and movies coming out than actual news

- no one does anything - blow off class

- yet tests are really hard

does that sound like TOK to you?

Our class reads newspapers in a great deal of class time, and after each significant news, he would ask us to discuss some points, and start class discussion. We also do essays in class and at home, presentations, and we watch great movies!

Yes. It's a BIG waste of time. I know that, knowing how to reason and stuff like that is very handy and necessary, but making a subject out of it? Bad idea.

I sort of agree. Did you guys do moral dilemmas? We had to make decisions on some very ugly situations. I think that in real life, things would just turn out fine, or better than the answers we had in class. Because it is in real life, not theory in class with bunch of kids trying to shout out the most ridiculous answers. People will do the right thing based on the needs of the majority, or we sympathize the poors and choose to risk our own lives for them. I think in real life, people will always do the right thing. Like the people on the 2 ferries in The Dark Knight, u know? :giveheart: