Can I apply in Summer 2014?

LeonieIB

I am just about to finish my IB after the final examinations this May. Unfortunately I am not good at predicting my grades as they change quite a lot. Basically, I have applied to 5 universities in UK via UCAS which are approximately in my point range and got all the offers, but I am now thinking that I can do better... I really do regret not choosing at least one that is ranked much higher and has slightly higher entry requirements. If I happen to get a really good IB score, if I contact the university right away during the summer, is there a chance that they will let me apply and possibly start courses in September/October of 2014? If not, will I be able to apply manually (with or without UCAS?) for 2015? Thanks.

Edited by Bunny

I am just about to finish my IB after the final examinations this May. Unfortunately I am not good at predicting my grades as they change quite a lot. Basically, I have applied to 5 universities in UK via UCAS which are approximately in my point range and got all the offers, but I am now thinking that I can do better... I really do regret not choosing at least one that is ranked much higher and has slightly higher entry requirements. If I happen to get a really good IB score, if I contact the university right away during the summer, is there a chance that they will let me apply and possibly start courses in September/October of 2014? If not, will I be able to apply manually (with or without UCAS?) for 2015? Thanks.

Unfortunately I can't help you with this, But I wonder one thing: The predicted grades we include in our university applications, are we supposed to do them on our own?

Unfortunately I can't help you with this, But I wonder one thing: The predicted grades we include in our university applications, are we supposed to do them on our own?

No, the teachers do them. Your referee then enters them in your UCAS application.

No, the teachers do them. Your referee then enters them in your UCAS application.

But why did Bunny then say "Unfortunately I am not good at predicting my grades as they change quite a lot." if he's not making the predicted grades himself? Or do teachers give predicted grades at more than one occasion?

But why did Bunny then say "Unfortunately I am not good at predicting my grades as they change quite a lot." if he's not making the predicted grades himself? Or do teachers give predicted grades at more than one occasion?

Well because I chose the universities based on the predicted grade I made for myself. By looking at the reports from earlier this year, for example. The ones that the referee submits are official and you do not get to see them.

Edited by Bunny
  • Like 1

If you receive marks higher than your firm offer you can go into adjustment, which is after the A level results come out (August 15th I believe).

But not many universities offer places at that period, so if your target university does not participate in the adjustment period then you have to apply in the next session.

• Like 1

That seems crazy, of course you should be told your predicted grades!! How else are you meant to know where it's worth applying?

There is a system that UCAS has called 'Adjustment' which you can google and that allows you to try to apply for any spaces on courses with free spots - on the basis that your grades have actually been a lot higher than first expected. However most of the top courses/Universities won't have any courses available in this process and it's a bit hit and miss. I mean you can't guarantee that what you want will be on there.

There's also a system called Clearing where UCAS allow people to bids for untaken University places if they failed to get their first choice or insurance choice i.e. didn't meet their offer. Just so you don't confuse them.

You can't make any applications for Sept 2014 outside of these options, so you might have to wait until Sept 2015 if you really wanted to try to apply for a different course. It depends how unhappy you are with your present arrangements!

• Like 1

That seems crazy, of course you should be told your predicted grades!! How else are you meant to know where it's worth applying?

My school made that policy too. I think they do not reveal predicted grades in each subject solely, but in total, yes. I was one of the lucky few first ones who applied through UCAS, and I got to know my grades, but others didn't in my school.

My school made that policy too. I think they do not reveal predicted grades in each subject solely, but in total, yes. I was one of the lucky few first ones who applied through UCAS, and I got to know my grades, but others didn't in my school.

Wow. In terms of applying to the UK, not knowing your predictions can screw up all of your applications, potentially. If you applied to somewhere with a cut-off of 37 listed in their requirements and unknowingly you'd been predicted 36, you'd be rejected outright all because you were ignorant that one teacher had marked you down in something.

If I were at your school let's just say I would be in great rage about this! :P

Wow. In terms of applying to the UK, not knowing your predictions can screw up all of your applications, potentially. If you applied to somewhere with a cut-off of 37 listed in their requirements and unknowingly you'd been predicted 36, you'd be rejected outright all because you were ignorant that one teacher had marked you down in something.

No one told me of my predicted grade until I submitted my application and found it out myself. Apparently there was something wrong with the system so I was able to see the predicted scores that my referee entered for me, but after several days I wasn't able to see that anymore.

Strange, but luckily I met the requirements of all universities I applied for (Only got predicted marks in the subjects though, not the core), but that also made me to regret taking English Literature more...

That's true yeah, but they had to.

After they started disclosing the individual predicted grades, a lot of my classmates went straight up to their teachers and started arguing with them, demanding higher predicted grades. The teachers were forced to, in a sense, to introduce this "policy".