How to Ace Your Finals Without Studying

ephika

I totally agree. Many smart people in school, well... the bad smart people always say that they never study, or never review, but they do. Only the nice smart people tell you that in order to achieve success, you gotta work for it. Practice makes better. I think those weird people are trying to tell you that don't study too much, or you will become confused. Study right.

I didn't check every post before this one, but I don't think anyone said you don't need hard work. For you to learn things holistically and LEARN/KNOW the subject you need lots of HARD WORK, not necessarily study. You have to find what works for you. If you know the subject, studying it even more makes no sense. If you know it, you won't forget it for the test or any time after that. If you memorize it, you'll forget it as soon as the test is over.

• 2 weeks later...

wait,... what dyu actually mean by studying?

cos if it's just spending hours revising and stuff the day before.. then OF COURSE there are many ways to ace your finals without studying!

but isnt what u normally do considered studying? throughout the year and stuff?

if it shows a way to ace ur exms wtithout even that, FILL ME IN!

Well, i don't know about all you geniuses out there, I study full stop

Studying my brain out is the only things that helps me do well. I tried once without studying before a maths test. and i failed.

I think Im just naturally, genetically stupid.

Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration. Accordingly, a genius is someone talented who has done his or her homework.

Thomas A. Edison, 1932

Does this work? Anyone try it? :P

Studying holistically? I think so. Unless I've suddenly gotten better at cramming... :P

I am not even going to consider it- if you're smart thats great, but if you don't do well without studying- and even smart people get better marks when they study- then thats just tempting a harsh and drastic fate.

I think you missed the point. You don't have to CRAM before tests/exams. If you understand something (i.e. learn and absorb during class), you'll have an easier time cramming/need less time to cram. That's not to say that you should expend 0% effort.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Your brain remembers connections between images/ideas. Understanding is basically that. So if you internalize a topic you can remember it forever. The best way to learn in my opinion is a combination of both hollistic learning and rote memorization. Especially in ib since they want you to answer questions in the correct manner.

• 2 weeks later...
The bad smart people always say that they never study, or never review, but they do.

So true. Seriously. I have a dozen people in my class who say they never study, but then they get amazing grades. And I'm just like, "Ok, there's no way you never studied this topic." Maybe they studied it like a week or two weeks before-hand, but they studied it at one point or another.

Especially in ib since they want you to answer questions in the correct manner.

Again, so true. My biology teacher is constantly telling us that a few words here or there could make determine whether we get a good grade or a bad grade.

Anyway, I have a friend who can read something once - honestly - and memorize everything there, and then remember it for a long time. There's no way I can just read something once and know it a week later. It works for him, but it doesn't work for me. And that's not bad; we just have to study in different ways. It's like how some people just have genetically fast metabolisms and some people don't. It's not bad, it just means one person can eat more often without any consequences, while another can't.

My point is this holistic learning could work fine for some people, and if it does, good for you. If not, then you can make your own study method that works for you. We're all individuals, after all.

• 5 months later...

i can sort of relate to what he's saying about holistic learning, but basically, if you don't remember the stuff, then you are going to fail. so really, you should just spend a little time each day studying for all your subjects and then before exams, you can simple read everything once, and find that you do remember everything

and always get a good night's sleep! :rofl:

In my opinion, not possible. I'm the kind of person who needs to actually work hard to get a good mark. However, some of my friends in IB don't study at all for tests and manage to get at least a 90%. I really wouldn't take that risk though... I mean IB is kind of important and predicted grades come in to play and then your GPA and then you're just screwed over :P