mathematical studies and economics

laura.alfonsi

since i suck at maths and will probably come out of gcse's with a B grade, im thinking of taking maths studies instead of maths SL because apparently you need at least an A in gcse to do well in it. do economics/buisness universities accept students who do maths studies and not HL or SL? thanks(:

It will depend on the university you will apply to. You have to look specifically at each university's entry requirements. However most of them (like UCL, Edinburgh, York) even require HL Mathematics for the Economics course. Besides, without a good command of mathematics it is hard that you will succeed in your university level economics studies. I suck at maths too :P I take math studies. But I believe math studies is suitable only for those who are not planning to do any subject related to mathematics like economics. So I would suggest you to reconsider your career plan, if you really want to study a subject like economics, bear in mind that in order to succeed in maths you have to study bloody hard even if you are a genius.

• Like 1

I have Math SL and even I don't qualify for economics at any decent university. If you have math SL, usually they require a 7, which I know is veeeeerrry unlikely for me and probably for you as well. If you are considering math studies economics is not for you at university. Especially in Masters level, economics is VERY maths based. I've head it said that a Economics Masters thesis is basically applied math. I'm sure you will find business a much better match for you, I wanna study business too, and I love economics, but I know that studying it at a higher level would not fit me as there is so much maths involved. If doing incredibly well at standard level, or well at HL in maths, is too much for you, then it will be very hard to get a spot in university. Even for business, which is not very mathy, it would be good to have SL if you want to attend a good university.

• Like 1