Single gender classes

missrunway

Bahrain is a Muslim country (as stated in the constitution), and in Islam, homosexuality is forbidden. As a result, our society does not view homosexuals, and especially teenage lesbians, kindly: they are frowned upon and ostracized (especially by the conservatives!).

So to answer your question, it's a problem because it stirs controversy and creates conflict because the number of homosexuals is growing every day.

Also, our society disapproves of the mixing of boys and girls - all public schools are segregated.

It's hard to explain...

I still don't think that not seeing guys will turn you into a lesbian.

But I can see that it's not that fun being homosexual in a country like this, but hopefully it will be accepted one dya.

mmmm... the only single gender class I've had is Maths HL last year (I dropped). 10 boys and 1 male teacher. It was horrible. There was such intense (and insane) competition in the room that you could smell the testosterone from a mile away.

I'm the only boy in Chemistry SL and that works fine.

All of my other classes are balanced in terms of gender.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that in concept it's fine but not in practice.

One of the things you're supposed to get from schools is the ability to work with people (to at least some extent), so if you spent who knows how many years with just people of the same gender, it'd be a lot harder to interact with people of the opposite gender.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

i go to a co-ed school and its been real good so far!! i agree with the idea of being in a single gender class will help us guys.....or girls, to concentrate in class, and that means you will get a better marks, but that doesnt apply for everyone. ive found that in a way working with girls in a class actually helps because girls have a different view of some things then us guys, and so this helps both gender to look at things differently. and also having both girls and boys in the class actually makes everything more enjoyable....untill you get the pain in the arse ones, but apart from that the classes are more interesting and fun. also in the future at work, you will have to work with other genders and so you will have to learn how to cop with it now, and so you wont be distracted during work. anyway this is my personal opinion so you dont have to agree on it :)

I've been in a girl school since Yr 7. It really helps during lessons - you concentrate and express yourself a lot better, and it's easier for us to take a lead among girls. Also you don't feel like you're 'on display' at any time.

However I found it difficult to get to know people other than my schoolmates because of this.

I think a single gender school for high school is good, but university is another matter.

Edited by Eydie

Having experianced both an all-boys school, and being in a co-ed one now, i can certainly say that each system has its merits. A single gender class generally gives more of an oppertunity to concentrate and actually get more work done, whereas with a co-ed class you generally get a more gentle and well-rounded atmosphere. I think i prefer the co-ed, but i think if you have short concentration spans its probs better for you to be in a single-gender class.

• 5 months later...

I would hate to be in a class of all the same gender, let alone a school. I think that it is only for certain people, that working in single gender classes would allow them to be more productive, but this is probably only a small majority of people in the world. Anyway, this world has two genders for a reason, because one would not be able to live without the other. Males and females are interdependent on each other. We were built as two genders. So even if it has been scientifically proven that single gender classes are better than mixed gender classes, this may not be true to a certain extent. The results of a single research cannot depict a whole world of people's results.

• 1 month later...

The only single gender glass I had was PE. PE was co-ed when I was younger, but as you get older I think single gender PE is better because you can more or less compete with people your own size and, to an extent, physical ability.

All my other classes are co-ed. I don't think I could live with single gender classes the whole day (not because I want to stare at guys all day lol) but because males and females are supposed to co-exist with each other and it would feel weird to be missing a whole gender. It's only natural :(