How do you get your historiography?

Well, one thing I'm constantly told by my teacher in history is that for Paper 1 and Paper 2, scoring a historiography in your essay is the difference between a 6 and a 7. Now while I get bucket loads of facts about a certain topic or event, it gets really difficult to get historians' view on the topic. Can someone tell me exactly how do you get your historiography?

I realised I have this exact same problem a couple of days ago, so I asked the lovely IBsurvival people if they could point out anything on the topics I'm doing here: http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/28177-sl-revision-historiography/ (there's quite a few different historians to look into for Single Party States and the Cold War, I believe!) I googled a couple and straight away it came up with a load of articles and such which really helped.

Other than that, I've found a lot of the time there are a few small bits of historiography scattered throughout the textbooks (the Cambridge ones). I haven't gotten very far yet, but I've found that if you even just google a specific topic, say something like "IB history Hitler's rise to power", you often come up with some IB specific notes which have a bit of historiography in them. There are just loads of little sources like that where I keep gathering bits of historiography, and hopefully come up with a pretty solid collection of different historians' opinions. Even little bits at a time all add up in the end.

Otherwise I would say just reading around the topics would really help, if you have time for it; I know I don't! :') Good luck though!

• Like 1

Well, one thing I'm constantly told by my teacher in history is that for Paper 1 and Paper 2, scoring a historiography in your essay is the difference between a 6 and a 7. Now while I get bucket loads of facts about a certain topic or event, it gets really difficult to get historians' view on the topic. Can someone tell me exactly how do you get your historiography?

This is not entirely sure. It is perfectly manageable to score a 7 on Paper 1 and paper 2 without adding any historians whatsoever. However, it is more difficult since it would require you to have excellent arguments which you have to structure excellently.

This is not entirely sure. It is perfectly manageable to score a 7 on Paper 1 and paper 2 without adding any historians whatsoever. However, it is more difficult since it would require you to have excellent arguments which you have to structure excellently.

I see. Thanks @Maks123456. I'll keeps that in mind.

Edited by Guest

• 3 months later...

According to my teacher, as long as you know two or three arguments and phrase it as 'a school of thought is', it counts towards historiography. It is only really necessary to know the names of 1 or 2 historians (AJP Taylor has an opinion on just about everything)

You could do what I did:

Memorise the names of six historians - two American, two British, one Russian, one NAM (I chose an Indian).

Then slap their names in your essays when:

(1) Making vague statements, eg. "The U2 incident was an embarrassment to the US and the Cold War heated up as a result of it" will become "Keylor posited that the U2 incident caused relations to heat up between the US and USSR." This is something very obvious and any Cold War historian would have said this in one form or another. Ta-da! Historiography.

(2) When presenting arguments for two sides of a topic, eg. "The US believed that the spread of Soviet communist influence would be to the detriment of the world community, and the Soviets believed that the US was threatened by the presence of a competing superpower when the Marshal Plan was doled out" will become "Jackson (an American historian) brought forth the American perspective in that the bedrock of capitalism was rendered obsolete by communist philosophy, making the Cold War an all the more necessary fight; Golenischev (a  Russian historian) counterargued that the Cold War was borne of American fear of rising Soviet influence in a world ripe for US hegemony." Ta-da! Historiography.

In a single essay, aim to name-drop along these lines maybe 3-6 times.

This ^ method worked for me in getting a 7. So yeah. :D

Edited by Arrowhead
  • Like 2