Super Confused

pieispi

Hi guys I'm deciding on my subjects for next year right now and one thing that is really troubling me is the English that I want to do.

Well technically, I don't want to do English (I'm pretty bad at it) so I decided to take Language and Literature which people said was much easier.

However, today a DP English teacher came in and talked about L&L saying that it was a lot of work and that it might possibly interfere with the HL subjects that I will do. From anyone who has experience, is L&L really a lot of work? Because I want to spend minimal time on the subject for my HLs and just because I hate it.

Language and Literature is basically:

3 written tasks (a min of 800 words and an additional 300 word rationale)

2 Further oral commentaries

One individual oral commentary (IOC)

2 literary books on Standard Level which you're going to use for your paper 2

2 other plays/books that you're going to base your IOC on.

It is a lot of work but it is not as much work as your teacher has said it to be.

• Like 1

Language and Literature is basically:

3 written tasks (a min of 800 words and an additional 300 word rationale)

2 Further oral commentaries

One individual oral commentary (IOC)

2 literary books on Standard Level which you're going to use for your paper 2

2 other plays/books that you're going to base your IOC on.

It is a lot of work but it is not as much work as your teacher has said it to be.

So... it's definitely better than taking Literature right? I mean I'm planning on going on to something related to engineering (possible economics) so I don't really need an English anyways right?

I wouldn't think about it like that.

The Literature course focuses a lot on reading literary works and analyzing them (put briefly). The Language and Literature course gives you an insight in both areas, allowing you to excel in the Language part if you're good there and in the Literature one if your strength lies in analyzing texts.

So, choose whatever you think you would be able to score highest on. Also, choose that which you would find more interesting and which you think you have a better chance of performing well on.

• Like 1

Sandwich has an excellent post about the differences between L&L and Lit, which is worth reading,

http://www.ibsurvival.com/topic/18405-a-literature-literature-and-language-an-explanation/

In a nutshell, L&L is designed to be the easier of the two subjects, I would imagine the depth of analysis with literature wouldn't go into as much depth. I can't give a proper comparison since I don't really know what you would do in Lit, but I'm guessing L&L would be a better choice if you aren't particularly good with English.

It's still a fairly time consuming subject (at least I find it is), though I would presume that's probably the same for lit. In particular there's quite a few assignments you can get, along with various pieces of homework. It doesn't make it necessarily difficult, but there's just a lot to do.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...