TOK Presentation Title Help - Music?

Lenochka

Hi!

I'm new here (just created an account about 10 minutes ago), and I already need help >.<

So, my TOK presentation is this friday. It's a long story to why out of the entire month of March I could have gone, but I won't get into that.

As you could tell, I was thinking of doing my presentation related to music. The thing is, I don't what title I would flipping use for what I plan to do.

I was thinking of taking a classical piece and including some renditions of it. First, I would ask my audience if they've heard the song before (most likely, none of them would) Then I'd play for about a minute. It's a VERY well known song so I'm sure most of them will recognize it. Then I could probably get a little bit into perception and what things are associated with that piece and why...how we are able to recognize the song without knowing the name and how we might gain knowledge once we do find out the name (dont know about the limitations to that though) That might dab into language but I'm not sure

Then, I would introduce the other 2 renditions. I don't really know how to explain what I want to do next because I already confusing myself (and probably you too).

Basically I want to discuss the associations with music and if we lose any "quality" of it if it was rendered with different instruments and if our emotions or sense of the music changes because of that.

I'm very and sincerely sorry if this post was confusing. I'm all scatterbrained as of the current moment.I just need to find a solid topic to approach and how. Any kind of help is MUCH appreciated!

I think it's an interesting topic. I think it doesn't dab into language, but memory for sure. I think memory, perception and possibly imagination are the ways of knowing that are invloved here. As to the title... try "How do we know music", although it might sound a bit corny.

You must have a real life situation for your presentation.

And playing the song for one minute is WAY too long. I'm not sure if you used it as a figure of speech or you really mean to play it for one minute. You only have 10 minutes in your presentation. It's honestly not a lot, so you would be wasting A LOT of time if you play it for one minute.

Why would we gain knowledge once we find out the title of the song? Under than the knowledge that the title of the song is x. What's the significance of knowing the title of the song is x? Many classical music have titles like Beethoven's Piano Concerto no.4 in G major, Op 58. To a person who doesn't know music theory, this title has no significance to the person. He will just know the song by this title, perhaps like the song, and that's all. How does useful knowledge actually come in?

@twilight

This is a response I needed! My teach said a minute is fine so I don't think that will be much of a problem. And you do make a good point there...I will definitely keep that in mind. Your right...some one who isn't in music theory won't really care, haha.

Many thanks!