Interview 8: What exactly is __inthemaking?

Ruan Chun Xian

All right, people. You've got 2 weeks to ask __inthemaking any question you want. :P You can ask more than once but you can't ask more than 20 questions in one post and you have to wait until the interviewee has answered those 20 before asking again.

Remember, the interviewee reserves the right not to answer a question. :)

Interview closes on 03/08/08, after which no more question can be asked but __inthemaking can answer any remaining question that is still unanswered.

__inthemaking will also get to choose the nominees for next round's interview.

Have fun. :)

What do you want to do in life?

What's in the making? :P

Age?

Favourite place?

Been to Asia?

Where do you live?

Do you like it there?

What are your plans for uni?

In life..I want to become a veterinarian and open my own clinic, get married and have 2 kids! I used to want 4 kids because I love them but my mom told me that I could count on an early death with 4 children lol and I realized that it was slightly unreasonable.

Haha, when I was like..15 or something, I was reading this book and came across this quote about the main character who said that her life was "in the making" and somehow it just kinda stayed with me. I guess it means that I'm writing my own life story? Or something cliché to that effect :P .

I'm 18 :) .

Favourite place..I would have to say it's this forest literally down the street from my house. There's a small creek running through the forest and a log across the creek so you can cross. It's very quiet there and really pretty in both the summer and winter, sometimes I like to read there. In the winter I go to see if I can catch sight of rabbits and foxes and I bring my camera too.

I was actually born in Asia haha.

I live in Canada..near Toronto to be more exact.

Yeah I do, I live in the suburbs so it's not crazy traffic jams everyday and it's not REALLY busy like it would be downtown. But I'm close enough to everything that I can drive comfortably around.

I'm going into uni this fall for a pre-med program. Then after 2 years, I'm going to take the MCAT and apply to graduate school for a veterinary medicine program..hopefully I get in on my first try. If I don't, then I'll just continue taking the pre-med program (it's a 4 year undergrad degree) and keep on reapplying each year XD lol.

How did you feel when you got your exam results?

Thoughts on IB now that it's over?

I was REALLY relieved. I just wanted IB to be completely and truly done with lol. And I also wanted to get at least what I was predicted (41 pts), but somehow I managed to get better so I was also really happy about that.

I think IB actually helped me a lot..my high school marks are all pretty much 95%+ now after my IB grades have been converted to Ontario high school marks. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to get 100 and 99 if I was in the regular program. Plus now I know how to write a 4000 word essay..I'm sure that's going to come in handy in uni. My EE is like my baby, haha :) .

do you have any pets?

which high school did you go to to?

what did you love abou your favourite teacher?

will you miss the IB an the people in your classes?

if you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Fish for now, probably a kitten this summer. I wish I had a puppy and a kitten right now but my mom is deathly afraid of getting bitten :) .

I prefer not to disclose haha :) ..but it was a medium sized Catholic high school. And very old (oldest in York Region).

She was sarcastic and always teased students but also willing to help out. And she's hilarious..especially because my boyfriend was trying to impress me in chem class before (my boyfriend's in IB too) and she said "psh, you're dreaming if you think (my name) would ever fall for that..she's out of your league". She said all this to tease my boyfriend and she didn't know at the time that we were together haha. And ever since she found out, she always teases us about having dates at the library lol. Best chem teacher I've ever had too. She had interesting metaphors and made up names when she blanked out on the name of a VSEPR shape before haha.

I won't miss IB as a program..but I sure as hell will miss my friends. We formed a very, very tight bond over the 2 years we've been together. And I've been with some of my friends since pre-IB days..so it's been 4 long years together.

I would like to go to Europe..Greece, Italy, France, Germany, Turkey, Belgium, etc. Pretty much a tour of all of Europe haha.

- Would you rather lose both of your legs or both of your arms?

- Did you find the Math exam easy?

- What makes life worth living?

- Would you rather have unlimited physical or mental strength?

- What is one thing you would change about the IB programme?

- Do you think Canada is 'better' than America? (better is to be understood loosely, please support and justify your claims :) )

- Why did you choose the IB?

- Do you like reading magazines?

- Best movie ever?

- Star Wars - yay or nay?

- First thing you think of when I say "Sweden"?

- Worst music genre?

:)

I didn't really "choose" IB..my parents wanted me to do IB because it would help me in university and also because all of my friends in elementary school were part of the "bad" crowd (drinking, smoking, doing drugs all by the age of 14) so my mom really wanted me to have a new group of friends because if I went to the high school I was supposed to go to, I would've been still hanging out with them. I'm glad my parents made me do IB though, because I think I would've ended up on a different path if I hadn't.

I do like magazines haha! But I don't really read them so much as look at the pictures lol. I only browse them when I'm in the grocery store and bored, or in waiting rooms.

Oh man toughie. I would have to say Dark Knight, Pride & Prejudice, and V for Vendetta.

I've only watched one Star Wars movie (don't even remember which one lol) in French class. Nothing against them, but I've never really been interested in Star Wars haha :P .

Meatballs! Yum :) . And Ikea haha..I love the stuff at Ikea.

For me personally, I'm not a fan of heavy metal or country. No offense to the people that do like it :( .

- Would you rather lose both of your legs or both of your arms?

- Did you find the Math exam easy?

- What makes life worth living?

- Would you rather have unlimited physical or mental strength?

- What is one thing you would change about the IB programme?

- Do you think Canada is 'better' than America? (better is to be understood loosely, please support and justify your claims :) )

Can I lose one of both? lol umm..I think my legs because I would imagine it's easier to function with prosthetic legs rather than prosthetic arms.

Yeah, the Math exam was the second easiest exam for me after biology.

My family, friends and boyfriend..being able to help others in any way, knowing that I've made an impact on someone's life, watching my loved ones succeed and be happy.

Unlimited mental strength for sure.

Change the exam schedule so that no student will have 2 subject exams on the same day :) ...I hated having economics and biology on the same day.

Haha what a loaded question..I would have to say that I do XD. Not that America is a bad country..most states have a lower sales tax than Ontario, so I love going over the border to shop, and the prices are lower there anyways. They have more variety in stores, clothing, etc. But we have a universal free health care system which I think is really fantastic, our education is cheaper, and I like that we're a peaceful country as I'm very anti-war. Oh and I think Bush is a total idiot and I have no idea how he even became president. Granted, I don't really like politics in general but I like Harper a lot more than Bush :( . And um, I think Canada as a whole is more healthy than America. (although I'm aware this is a generalization). Our fast food is not nearly as cheap as it is in America, haha. I would also consider Canada a more tolerant nation as a whole than the US (with gay rights and all that). I think Canada is also more diverse than the US..at least in Toronto, it is literally a melting pot of people from all backgrounds. I have friends from China, Sri Lanka, India, Italy, Mauritius, Australia, Korea, Japan, Greece and Hungary. And to top it all off, Canadians live longer than Americans! :)

lol i agre wih you about the canada thing, though i would never say i like harper

what shoe size do you wear

favourit colour

favourite school year?

I don't like Harper, just prefer him over Bush if I had to choose between them lol.

I wear women's 5.5-7 US, depending on what type of shoe. For heels, I wear 5.5. For running shoes, flats and flip flops, I wear 6 or 6.5. Sometimes I like my casual sneakers to be roomier and I get a 7.

My favourite colour is azure.

Hmm..probably grade 9 or grade 11. Grade 11 was pretty intense going into IB but also kind of exciting too haha. Plus I started having classes with the other half of the IBers that I never had classes with until then.

i am going off a previous question... which version of Pride & Prejudice?

how tall are you?

favorite pizza toppings?

favorite thing to do?

The 2005 film with Keira Knightley.

I'm 5'2"...it's very sad :) .

Mushrooms! And I also like ham and pineapple.

Playing video games, shopping, reading, watching tv/movies, being with friends.

What do you wish to be your last words in life? last actions?

Do you have any regrets?

What do you want your tombstone to say?

Are you religious?

Are you pro life or pro choice?

Favorite teacher?

"The horror, the horror" haha :P . No umm..probably "I love you all, take care of yourselves" if I got to be with my loved ones right before I died. And my last actions would be hugs and kisses to all of them.

No major regrets really.

Hmm...other than the basics like my name, DOB-DOD, probably just a simple quote, although none come to mind right now.

I'm Catholic but sadly I stopped going to Church every Sunday when I started IB. So I guess I'm not super religious, although I do pray and believe in God.

Pro life, but I don't condemn the women that choose to have an abortion in the case of rape. But I do think it's despicable if women are having unprotected sex, get an abortion, and then proceed to have unprotected sex yet again..

My chem teacher. She was sarcastic and always teased students but also willing to help out. She had interesting metaphors and made up names when she blanked out on the name of a VSEPR shape before haha. And she was really easy to talk to, used to always tease me and my boyfriend haha.

How did you meet your boyfriend?

Names you would give your children?

Best trip ever?

Favourite sport/way of exercise?

We met in grade 9 at the school bus stop..I was dating his elementary school friend at the time and so we were introduced. But we never talked and were more acquaintances than actual friends. It wasn't until grade 11 that we finally had one class together, and we both joined the school business club. Started talking more, and we became friends and 1 month later, voila :) ! Haha..so basically IB brought us together because it was when IB started that we were put in a class together..which is kind of sad.

No idea. We do want one boy and one girl though lol. He has joked that he wanted the boy to be named Albus (after HP) but I would never allow it haha.

Last August I went on a cruise to the Western Caribbean. It was pretty much the best trip ever..went to Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman Islands, Mexico and the port was in Miami. I got really tanned (but also burned, ha) and the weather was beautiful. Lots of fun stuff and events on the ship too, I was never bored.

Favourite sports: volleyball, figure skating, snowboarding, skiing, tennis and horseback riding. I hate running with a passion, I had asthma as a little kid so my endurance isn't that great. Usually I exercise by just working out combined with skipping rope as my cardio rather than running..but lately I've been kinda lazy with that :) .

ok, so i'm just blown away by your IB scores. we've never had anything higher than a 40 at our school, so a 42 seems impossible to me haha. i'm not exactly what you would call the intellectual type, so i'm a tad bit worried about biology and math. that being said,

1) what advice would you give regarding bio and math?

2) what was your history EE topic about? european hist., hist. of the americas, ou quoi?

3) where in asia were you born? :(

ok, so i'm just blown away by your IB scores. we've never had anything higher than a 40 at our school, so a 42 seems impossible to me haha. i'm not exactly what you would call the intellectual type, so i'm a tad bit worried about biology and math. that being said,

1) what advice would you give regarding bio and math?

2) what was your history EE topic about? european hist., hist. of the americas, ou quoi?

3) where in asia were you born? :(

Haha thanks..really? The highest score at my school was 45 two years ago. Lat year there was a 44 and a 43. I'm tied for highest at my school with another girl this year so our class actually did "worse" by my school's standards :).

Bio and math were actually the 2 easiest subjects for me just because I have an excellent memory. Biology is all memorization..study from the IB bio syllabus like it's your bible, because all of the possible questions they can give you are straight from there. Some of the things in the syllabus are like "give examples of..." which may seem like something you don't really need to memorize, but I suggest that you memorize the one they give you or prepare one beforehand because it's difficult to come up with examples on the spot. It also helped that I did all the past exams from May 2003-Nov 2007, because I knew exactly what key words they were looking for in answers, how much to write for each type of question, etc. I actually took my math and french IB exams in May 2007, so since last year I only had 2 exams to write, I had much more time to prepare. Math is all about practice..do all of the homework assigned by your teacher, even if they're all the exact same. I did every single question that was assigned every night..it was boring and repetitive but it helped to drill in my head exactly how to do each type of question. I also did past exams (May 1998-Nov 2006) for math. Your graphing calculator is your best friend, use it whenever possible..don't waste time solving by hand when you can solve with your calculator.

History of Americas. It's kind of funny because I didn't even take history as an IB subject, ha. But I really enjoy it..just didn't want to endure history HL AND english HL at the same time (wayyy too much work), so I took economics HL instead. Anyways, my topic was about whether or not the American government knew about the Pearl Harbor strike before it occurred.

I was born in Hong Kong :( .

woo, great advice ty :( ...now, let's bombard you with invasive questions :)

-have you been to montreal? (i'm here atm)

-favorite video games?

-do you personally know anyone on this forum?

-what kinda music do you listen to?

-would your parents allow you to go backpacking through europe on your own/with friends? cause mine sure as hell wouldn't :|

-have you ever broken a limb?

-favorite ice cream flavor?

-puhhleaaase tell me you've been to a rogers cup (tennis) game...it is in toronto, after all :(

-favorite snack?

-piercings?

-are you aware that my questions are quite useless?

yup, i'm pretty sure i've reached stalker status.

woo, great advice ty :( ...now, let's bombard you with invasive questions :)

-have you been to montreal? (i'm here atm)

-favorite video games?

-do you personally know anyone on this forum?

-what kinda music do you listen to?

-would your parents allow you to go backpacking through europe on your own/with friends? cause mine sure as hell wouldn't :|

-have you ever broken a limb?

-favorite ice cream flavor?

-puhhleaaase tell me you've been to a rogers cup (tennis) game...it is in toronto, after all :)

-favorite snack?

-piercings?

-are you aware that my questions are quite useless?

yup, i'm pretty sure i've reached stalker status.

Yes I have been to Montreal :) !

Umm probably Call of Duty 3 or 4, Medal of Honour and Counterstrike.

No I don't haha.

I listen to top 40s mostly..and rock, I guess. Not heavy rock, just bands like Yellowcard, Relient K, etc.

Nooo haha..they would be afraid I'll get abducted and murdered or something.

I've never broken a limb, but I did need to have splints on both thumbs when I was 3 years old for a year because the tendons in my thumbs were too short and I couldn't straighten them. That was pretty much the closest experience I had to breaking a bone haha.

Rocky road! I also like cookie dough and mint chocolate chip.

Sadly I have not :( ..somehow I always end up going on vacation during the Roger's Cup lol. But my friend has been a ball boy there before :0!

Oh man I can't pick just one..I love eating haha. Chips, cookies, crackers, ice cream..

I only have 2 (one in each ear). My parents are very against body piercings and would probably kick me out of the house. But they don't mind more ear piercings really, so I might get another one in my ear.

No, your questions are quite interesting, actually :( .