Complex numbers - polar form?

Melissi

Hi again!

I'm (still) doing complex numbers revision and while that isn't going too badly altogether, I noticed something in the answers to the calculations in polar form: sometimes (seemingly for no reason) 2pi has been subtracted from the argument, whereas sometimes it hasn't been. This seems like a really small and insignificant question, but if complex numbers is one of the topics I can do reasonably well, then I don't want to lose marks on little things like this, so my question is: is there any particular reason why 2pi is subtracted only sometimes? There really isn't anything that I can see to tell the difference between questions!

Thank you! :)

Do keep in mind both sin(x) and cos(x) are cyclic mod 2pi, hence cis(x) and e^(i*x) are as well. So I would assume they subtract or add 2pi to the argument in order to keep the argument within a certain domain - I'm not sure if this is [0,2pi) or (-pi,pi]. That's my best guess!

• Like 3

Thanks! I did think of that, but the questions (1c and 2a in this picture, though there were others as well) don't give a range for the values to be in, which is why I was a bit confused.

I suppose it's likely that they were keeping the answers within a range that just wasn't specified, though that's a bit annoying. Thank you anyway :)

post-133137-0-20666000-1393685779_thumb.

Oh for this, because the Value of Cos and Sin are cyclic, they will repeat after every 2pi, so you add 2(k)pi to pi/5 where k = 0,1,2,3,4,5,
and then you use the De-Moivers Theorem like normal. I think that should do it if I'm not wrong

P.S - I was in the same position as you, I'm pretty sure about my answer but am kinda unsure as to how many values of k are necessary.

• Like 1