Written Task 2 on "The Things They Carried"

Hey Everyone,

I have been assigned to write a WT2, and the text that will be used as a basis for analysis is "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien.

I chose the fifth question, which is:

How does the text conform to, or deviate from, the conventions of a particular genre, and for what purpose?

Okay, so I know that I can elaborate on that topic, specifically talking about the deviations as the author doesn't really follow the conventions of the genre and doesn't want to make the reader understand what a true war novel would.

The teacher told me that I should find another text, a real war novel, and point out the differences to prove my point. He's strong on that, he won't change his mind even though the question states that it's a particular genre and not a book.

The two following questions that I would be grateful to receive an answer to are these:

1. If I were to discuss the representation of a specific social group in the text, specifically women, and how they are represented in the text, would that be a good topic?

Women are a heavy thing in some of the chapters, and those of you who read it know what I'm talking about.

If you think it's a good idea, please tell me what I should concentrate more on and what I should actually prove, so the paper doesn't talk about a hundred different things but rather only one specific thing.

I have a writer's block. Out of ideas. Stressed out.

Help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ali

I did, no actually am just literally completing, " the representation of women and how they are represented in the text" for the Things they Carried right now. I would say go with what you're more interested on. After all, an essay you're much more into is much better, than one that isn't :D Develop your own thesis (imo) and then follow it through the essay, giving examples of course.

Your teacher might be helping you identify differences of genre by recommending you to compare to another book of the same genre. Otherwise it is all too easy to invent the genre as you go along.

Are women to be considered a "social group" or a "gender"? Are men a "social group"? Strictly speaking, no. "Race" is not really a "social group" either but I recall seeing an essay written on this.

There are other aspects that need to be considered before these two genders can turn into social groups. I am not sure how well the IB treats this distinction. I daresay your choice of social group will be accepted anyway, in which the IBO wording needs correcting. At any rate, examining the circumstances of these women will help you go beyond the hugely broad (sex) category "gender" to something more focussed.

• 1 month later...