What are the differences between English A SL and English B HL?

Hello, there! This is my first post here ever. So, I'm going to hand in the subjects option form two days later. But I have trouble making choices on English. I want to know the differences between English A SL and English B HL apart from the difficulties and quantity of assignments. Do both English A HL and SL focus on literature itself, whereas B focuses on the application of the language and cultures?

Thanks!

Eng A is basically literature and it is for native speakers. If English is your first language, you need to take Eng A (as you need an A language anyway). Eng B is for non-native speakers and is MUCH easier. On exams you will have texts and questions on them and you'll need to write an essay/speech or letter.

I have Eng B HL and Russian (my first language) A SL and I can certainly tell you that I'm much more stressed for Russian exam, even when I can speak it much better ;)

• 6 years later...
On 2/26/2014 at 12:16 AM, Leila 111 said:

Eng A is basically literature and it is for native speakers. If English is your first language, you need to take Eng A (as you need an A language anyway). Eng B is for non-native speakers and is MUCH easier. On exams you will have texts and questions on them and you'll need to write an essay/speech or letter.

I have Eng B HL and Russian (my first language) A SL and I can certainly tell you that I'm much more stressed for Russian exam, even when I can speak it much better ;)

The same thing happens on me too. In school, i'm more afraid of Chinese(my native language) exams.

6 hours ago, George2004 said:

The same thing happens on me too. In school, i'm more afraid of Chinese(my native language) exams.

If you don't have to take Chinese A (your school doesn't require it) and at the same time are good at English and your school offers English A lang&lit, then you can take English A. But English A lit (only) for a non-native speaker would be a suicide.