How do you study for Maths Studies?

meetjordan

Hey everyone,

So at my school I am doing maths studies SL but accelarate which means we cover the two year course in one year, my exams are November 2014. I was wondering if anybody actually did formal notes for the course or simply just did lots of practice questions. Does anyone have any tips to share on the best way to make sure all topics are covered for the final exams?

Regards, Jordan

Personally I had a small booklet of notes of questions and concepts that I found difficult or a bit difficult to remember - I would review and glance over these right before exams. (Such things include the Chi-squared test rules of independence etc). Otherwise doing past papers is the key to doing well. Make a sticky note and highlight the questions you get wrong or find difficult and keep on reviewing these particular questions :)

All the best!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

In short: don't bother. Maths Studies, ironically, is not worth studying for:)

I should emphasise that the above is sarcastic - although maths studies may seem incredibly easy compared to Maths HL, it is still definitely worth studying for. Aside from the very useful tips already mentioned above, I can suggest a few other things. Firstly, I think that highlighting and annotating textbooks, your own notes and the formula book can help you re-read the content of the course without simply skimming. Also, reading the reports written by the examiners can be useful in providing insight into particularly difficult questions. Finally, get very, very good at using your calculator in efficient ways. It's never good to be complacent, so best of luck with your studying!