Questions about doing HL Theater

Syn

So I'm planning on taking HL Theater next year, which I'm excited for but I have a couple concerns. I know the arts are often incredibly time consuming so how time consuming is Theater? Keeping in mind that I really really need a 7 in the course. If I didn't take Theater I would take HL Psychology. Thanks!

I was in the same situation as you except I was choosing between History and Theatre. Depending on your analytical skills, originality of your ideas and the level of commitment you are willing to put into the subject I'd choose theatre. Although there is no exam there are major pieces of work that go toward your final grade 1) a practical play proposal (this is based on a stimuli, you create devise a piece based on it)

2) TPPP (oral commentary)

When it comes to time consuming, the only times you are 'busy' is when you have your major assessments. Keep in mind you do have to be a part of three productions in the time span of your theatre course however, these can also go towards your CAS.

Some may think theatre is easy to get a 7 in because there is no exam. I know people who are excellent workers and are getting sixes in the subject. However, 7 in HL theatre is achievable if you are willing to commit and creatively engage yourself.

Edited by espina852

• 2 months later...

I really enjoyed IB theatre HL (just handed in my last IA last week!) and would definitely recommend it! In terms of it being time consuming, it depends on your creative process and your time management skills. I found trying to get my IAs done kind of hellish at times because I had IAs due in other courses at the same time. If you're on top of things and work on them from the time you get them though, you should be fine. It's really nice to be able to do a course and produce work that's so different from everyone else's instead of doing all sorts of standardized stuff. Good luck with your decision!