IB Maths

Bysee

Hey :)

I'm in 10th grade now, and I will have to choose my IB subjects very soon.

I'm aiming to major in computer science, and I'm curious if I should to choose Maths HL or not.

I'm not so sure if I will be able to score 5 or higher in Maths HL (In my SL/HL class I usually get 6 but I also got some 4s and 5s) and I'm thinking of choosing Maths SL, but I'm really worried that it might stop me from majoring in computer science for some universities. Should I take Maths HL or not?

Btw, I still didn't choose where to for further education, maybe US or Canada.

First of all, take the mathematics level you feel more confident in.

In computer science, i haven't seen any strict requirements about mathematics but having a background on Calculus.

Yet, i have heard of many people studying computer science which did take Mathematics HL, but i have also heard of people who took mathematics SL and are studying computer science.

For more insight, check a couple of universities. What they require, level of mathematics, etc...

Hope this helps!

-Fiz

If you want to do computer science, take HL math if at all possible. While it's possible to take SL, take some foundation courses later on, and still do well, computer science is very mathematical and theoretical and having a solid mathematical background is the best preparation for a computer science course. The math isn't so much things like "compute this integral" or "find this derivative," it's more of a logic-based and discrete math course. HL math is a good preparation for that kind of math.

In the US computer science doesn't "require" HL math per say to get into the program, but a lot of your classmates will have taken the highest level of math possible to them. You can start a computer science program from basic, fundamental calculus in the US, which you will likely do if you take SL math. If you take HL, you can start your math requirements in a higher math class.