Chi Square Question?

kradathole

Hello, IB.

I am working on my Math IA and came across a problem: p-value.

I want to know if it is okay to compute this number through the calculator, or is if there is a manual way to do this...what is it?

Same for X calc values...

I understand that the Critical values are retrieved through the table with the sig levels...

I'm just a bit confused on the p-values...

And say, the xcalc > xcrit but the pvalue is not < sig level.... is that even possible? Contradiction?

Obviously I am doing something wrong...I did a lot of chi squares in class and for homeworks, but it just doesn't seem to work with my IA!

BTW, its an IA comparing about 120 data points (I'm doing three separate chi squares: 40 data points for each section...)

Thanks a ton to those who stumble! :-)

Calculating p-values manually involves finding the probability that you are outside the critical value, for a given significance level (usually 0.05).

Even calculating it manually requires either the tables or a calculator, so a calculator should be fine for this task.

Edited by Hus

Last November we did some practice Math Studies IAs and our teacher was fine with us using the calculator to show our results, but I think that despite using the calculator, you should always include a description of the process in which you get to the answer manually. This will avoid the loss of points in the processes criterion.