Bio IA: Limitations and Improvements

IBnJamSandwich

Hi! I'm doing a lab on the effect of glucose concentration on the rate of carbon dioxide production by yeast. I'm having a hard time finding limitations/errors in my experiment that aren't human errors, such as not using the amount of glucose solution required, etc. Are there any suggestions on what errors I could include? Thanks!

Hmmm.....Can you give us more details about your experiment? It'll be more helpful...

Basically, we have glucose solutions of varying glucose concentrations, and we mix it with some yeast solution in a respiration chamber and time the reaction for 120 seconds. During the reaction, we used a CO2 sensor to collect the amount of carbon dioxide released from the reaction. The CO2 sensor is connected to an interface, which shows the amount of carbon dioxide in the chamber during each second. After the 120 seconds, the interface stops recording, and the CO2 sensor is taken out and the respiration chamber is emptied and cleaned. The same thing is repeated for four more conditions. The conditions were 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, and 25%, and the amount of yeast solution and glucose solution used in the reaction was 10mL each. The yeast solution was a 5% dry active yeast solution.

Hmmm.....Can you give us more details about your experiment? It'll be more helpful...

Basically, we have glucose solutions of varying glucose concentrations, and we mix it with some yeast solution in a respiration chamber and time the reaction for 120 seconds. During the reaction, we used a CO2 sensor to collect the amount of carbon dioxide released from the reaction. The CO2 sensor is connected to an interface, which shows the amount of carbon dioxide in the chamber during each second. After the 120 seconds, the interface stops recording, and the CO2 sensor is taken out and the respiration chamber is emptied and cleaned. The same thing is repeated for four more conditions. The conditions were 5%, 10%, 15%, 20%, and 25%, and the amount of yeast solution and glucose solution used in the reaction was 10mL each. The yeast solution was a 5% dry active yeast solution.

the reliability of the equipment used, perhaps?

or the no. of trials for each condition? were they sufficient?

Edited by Jane500
  • Like 1

I got the reliability of the equipment used, but I thought talking about the no. of trials was a human error...

I got the reliability of the equipment used, but I thought talking about the no. of trials was a human error...

yes you are correct, just make sure you mention it in the lab.

cheers

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

hi, i joined this website just to reply i hope my response helps and it isnt too late.... in terms of limitations for your lab you would need to look at the fact that yeast respires both aerobically and anaerobically. Even though both types of respiration allows for the liberation of CO2 gas, one produces more than the other. Aerobic respiration goes to completion producing more energy and more CO2 (about 38moles) while anaerobic respiration does not producing less energy and less CO2 (about 2 moles). With that in mind was there any way or controlling the type of respiration taking place each time?