Dilemma; Math HL or SL?

Talalwarsi5897

Hey, guys. I've had a lot of trouble trying to opt for either HL or SL. I desire to pursue something Biology/Chemistry related in university. so I've done some research, and what i found out is that Math HL is not required to apply for Biochemistry or something similar. Also, i thought that if i take Math HL, I will have less time to focus on my more important subjects like Chemistry and Biology. But, my brother who studies Math in The University of Cambridge, along with my parents and my school coordinator, say that regardless of my university course, I can't get into a good college with SL math. I aim to get into a top 50 college, and they're saying that with Math SL, that's not possible. So now i'm pretty damn confused as to which one to finally take.

I'd honestly appreciate any information or advice.

Cheers!

Your brother is right, many Russell group universities require Maths HL even though Maths is not at the core of your degree.
Although, unless you're only shooting for top UK univerisites - Oxbridge, Birmingham, Durham, York, Warwick, Leeds, just to mention a few - I wouldn't worry about it. As far as I know, the Math involved in Biology/Chemistry is not that advanced. Certainly it is not as pivotal as it is if you want to apply for Computer Science at university.

Well, it all depends on what you want to study in the end! If you're not going for Chemical Engineering, or Engineering-related courses, then Maths SL will do.

e.g. At Cambridge, Natural Science runner-up students must fulfill the following entry requirements:

• A Level Biology, A Level Chemistry and AS Mathematics or Physics
  • A Level Chemistry, A Level Mathematics and AS Physics
  • A Level Physics, A Level Mathematics and AS Further Mathematics

In IB terms, AS levels are broadly comparable to SL and A levels to HL. Therefore it is totally possible to get into this course with SL Maths, with the condition that you take Bio and Chem HL!

And if Cambridge accepts it, then is very likely that other universities around the globe will also accept your SL Maths, there's no need to stress imo.

p.s. I take Maths SL and it's not that bad. Take this from a person who used to get really low grades in math. It all comes down to PRACTICE!

Edited by vals

I would contact the universities in question and ask them if Math HL is required (or even just preferred). Remember that you can take 4 HL subjects, and then drop Math to SL if you find HL to demanding.

In general, HL math is required for engineering especially in the UK unless your school does not offer it, in which case you need to get at least a 6, preferably a 7, to show math competency required for an engineering program. Any sort of chemical engineering, even biochemical engineering, is heavy in math and physics and you must have a good math background otherwise you will struggle. Believe me, I'm in my fourth semester of uni and I'm STILL taking math courses (only have one more to go though :P) You can do engineering coming from just SL math but you'll be playing catch-up.

HL math is not required unless you are applying to engineering, math, natural science (like physics or chemistry), economics, or finance courses, even if it's a top 50 university. You can take it at a HL if you're good at it, but it is not a requirement for medicine (except for Cambridge I think), law, business, languages, international relations, etc. Your parents, school, and brother are wrong.

• Like 1