Psychology HL IA-Word Count Question

meowchelle

Hey guys, I need some advice regarding my Psych HL IA.

I've finished the most parts of the writeup of my report (it was quite a pain, took me a few days) and was feeling relieved until I realised I forgot the word count. Turns out I wrote 2700++ words.

As I'm HL, my word limit is 1500-2000. So I've currently successfully cut down to 2130 words. No easy feat because I kept feeling that I'm cutting out important stuff. Are there any easier ways to help me cut down my words? :(

What I want to ask is if the stuff under tables and graphs are counted into the word count? Such as

Table 1: Table showing the mean and standard deviation for the results obtained in testing the experimental and control groups

^^ is this counted into word count?

Thank you! :)

The table captions and explanations re not included, neither are heading titles for sections (e.g. Introduction, methods, discussion. The abstract also has a separate word count. Unofficially you should be allowed to go 10% over the word count without being penalized.

Hey blindpet, thanks for the info! How about the numbering for procedure, like

^^ these would not be counted too right? The word count in Microsoft counted them in, and I would have around 1990+ words if I exclude them. :)

Thank you!

• 5 weeks later...

@Moonshine, they shouldn't count

@Alwaysanexttime, I highly doubt that moderators or markers actually count the words. The IBO may scan and OCR the papers and it'll do an overall word count though. If thi sis within a 10-20% boundary of the word count then they probably do not mark down for going over the word count (adding the 10-20% will account for captions, headings and other things not included in the word count). Of course this is all speculation but my assumption is that markers and moderators get paid per piece of work they mark so it is not in their interest to actually count all the words, hence my proposed method of how they may automate counting, if they bother at all.