Mandarin B Vocabulary List

David14

Hi All,

I am currently taking Mandarin B and I was wondering if anyone has a hold of (or knowledge of) a vocabulary list needed to achieve a minimum of a 5?

Do we have to memorise general/common characters or rather characters specific to the syllabus (for both Paper 1 and 2 and the Written Task).

My teacher handed out a list for ab initio, (despite being in sl), but I don't think there's an official list.

However, do go over what you learned in your curriculum and other common characters to prepare for the written aspects, it's hard to specifically study for it because you don't know what certain topics they'll cover, so just try to be familiar with what you already learned. If you really want to feel prepared, try to think of translating everyday sentences from english (or whatever language your mother tongue is) to mandarin and see which words you may need to know or sentence structures you need to be familiar with.

What I personally did was I made my own list, it was a list of words from our school curriculum that I wasn't too familiar with and everyday characters that I wanted to learn. If you have the motivation and time to do so, I'd recommend doing that and studying off that.

However, just a disclaimer, no matter what you do, if mandarin is your second language, they will throw a bunch of words on the test that you will have had no chance of knowing beforehand and you'll have to try to deduce its meaning from the words around it and the radicals in the word. Just be aware that that's natural and expected, so don't panic when you do notice a lot of foreign words.

Anyways, jia you! :)