How to tackle exam questions?

Hello,

I was just wondering how you should tackle the exam questions as my B&M teachers tell us to write in full sentences and have a ''discussion'' while in the mark schemes of past papers show that many of the answers are in bullet form and have almost no discussion or explanations, just simple answers to the questions.

Any advice would be appreciated.

My teacher recommended we write in full sentences and paragraph/essay form. For the questions worth more marks, like 4+, a discussion is usually good because you should aim to have a balanced response (writing about both advantages and disadvantages, for example). I believe the mark schemes just give examiners a general idea of what to look out for in the answer? You might notice that for questions such as Define… there's a sentence/paragraph answer, but for questions like Identify 3 ways.. or Discuss… there's a bullet point answer - because these type of questions have different possible answers.

I don't think the mark scheme shows exemplar responses to the exam questions - the MS is only an indication and a guide of some of the answers examiners might expect/look out for from candidates, so that's why many of the bullet point answers aren't explained further (although you are expected to explain your answer). I hope that makes sense / that this helps! :)

Also, in general, for B&M just take note of the question and the command words. If it says Identify 2 sources of finance, then you just need to say: 2 source of finance are X and Y. But if the question says Explain 2 sources of finance.. then that's where you need to explain the answer. Don't waste your time explaining your answer if the question doesn't ask for it. This all sounds obvious but I think being aware of what your answer should actually contain could make a difference between a grade 6 and a grade 7. So basically what I'm trying to say in a really long-winded way is.. learn your command words and you'll realise when a simple answer is best, and when discussions/explanations are best/necessary.

Edited by bluedino
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

My teacher recommended we write in full sentences and paragraph/essay form. For the questions worth more marks, like 4+, a discussion is usually good because you should aim to have a balanced response (writing about both advantages and disadvantages, for example). I believe the mark schemes just give examiners a general idea of what to look out for in the answer? You might notice that for questions such as Define… there's a sentence/paragraph answer, but for questions like Identify 3 ways.. or Discuss… there's a bullet point answer - because these type of questions have different possible answers.

I don't think the mark scheme shows exemplar responses to the exam questions - the MS is only an indication and a guide of some of the answers examiners might expect/look out for from candidates, so that's why many of the bullet point answers aren't explained further (although you are expected to explain your answer). I hope that makes sense / that this helps! :)

Also, in general, for B&M just take note of the question and the command words. If it says Identify 2 sources of finance, then you just need to say: 2 source of finance are X and Y. But if the question says Explain 2 sources of finance.. then that's where you need to explain the answer. Don't waste your time explaining your answer if the question doesn't ask for it. This all sounds obvious but I think being aware of what your answer should actually contain could make a difference between a grade 6 and a grade 7. So basically what I'm trying to say in a really long-winded way is.. learn your command words and you'll realise when a simple answer is best, and when discussions/explanations are best/necessary.

Wow, thanks this helped me loads! Sorry for the late reply, but being an IB student I've been pretty busy! :)

Best regards.

One tip my teacher told me that "the IB marks positively, not negatively." meaning that if you write everything you know and there are the correct choices, you will get the mark and will not lose points for additional info (unless there are two contradictory sentences). So always write everything that comes to mind about the answer.

A second tip (that would relate to almost all subjects) is defining what the question is asking for THEN answer the question.

For example: Identify the stakeholders in IBS.

First of all, a stakeholder is.....

Then answer the question. It always guarantees a mark.

Hope it helps!

-Fiz