Disciplines for World Studies EE

I am thinking about doing my Extended Essay in World Studies.

Have anyone here written it in EE? If yes please give me some tips on the research question, but more importantly the amount of disciplines used in essay.

1. Is there a minimal number of disciplines I have to use? how many is good enough?

2. What disciplines would you suggest?

3. would Literature (George Orwell) and Politics work well together?

Really appreciate your help

I wrote my extended essay in Psychology. However, what I can tell you about the research question is that I found it easier to write a broad question and then center it around what I discussed after I wrote it. So, I started with the question "Is Criminal Profiling effective?" and when I wrote the essay I found myself talking about use in court and in identifying the criminal. My question then became "How effective is Criminal Profiling in correctly identifying a suspect and prosecuting said suspect?"

As for your second question, a lot of my class did literature papers because all that is, is analyzing the book. Many people were bored and only did this because it didn't require much research. I would recommend that you pick a topic you're passionate about because then it's not just research it's exploring something you love. My favorite topics were History (Salem Witch Trials) and Psychology.

Finally if you choose the Literature route I believe that this idea would work. However, I would reccomend that you also check out Animal Farm by George Orwell (I kinda assumed you were talking about 1984) if you haven't read already. It's awesome and I love it.

Hey thank you very much for your reply and advice:))

But I think you didn't quite understand my question, I was asking about the World Studies and the required number of disciplines there, you may know that World Studies essays integrate several (?) disciplines and focus on a global problem, its a new thing in IB and there's not much info about it:)))

I have read Animal Farm and I think that Orwell is genius, that's why I wanted to have him in my EE:))

I was thinking of writing my EE on Turkish Social Studies: a lesson composed of history geography and sociology. However it is not possible for me to pick it. but I want to write something about politics which pushes me to English B but I am stucked. Anyone has an idea?

Edited by bnazorhon

• 9 years later...
On 12/4/2013 at 5:59 AM, Elizabeth O'Donnell said:

I wrote my extended essay in Psychology. However, what I can tell you about the research question is that I found it easier to write a broad question and then center it around what I discussed after I wrote it. So, I started with the question "Is Criminal Profiling effective?" and when I wrote the essay I found myself talking about use in court and in identifying the criminal. My question then became "How effective is Criminal Profiling in correctly identifying a suspect and prosecuting said suspect?"

As for your second question, a lot of my class did literature papers because all that is, is analyzing the book. Many people were bored and only did this because it didn't require much research. I would recommend that you pick a topic you're passionate about because then it's not just research it's exploring something you love. My favorite topics were History (Salem Witch Trials) and Psychology.

Finally if you choose the Literature route I believe that this idea would work. However, I would reccomend that you also check out Animal Farm by George Orwell (I kinda assumed you were talking about 1984) if you haven't read already. It's awesome and I love it.

Hi, I'm currently in the IB programme working on my extended essay and am also doing my essay on criminal profiling with a similar question. Would you have any tips for writing about criminal profiling or any recommended resources? Was it difficult?