What math should I take next year?

theasiantomato

I'm really on the fence about what math class I should take next year. I'm in grade 11 this year, and my school only offers Math Studies SL or Math HL, so I decided to take Math Studies so I wouldn't overwhelm myself. I'm finding that it's ridiculously easy and I wish my school offered Math SL.

Anyway, next year, even though I technically could be done with math, I intend to take another math class. However, I don't know if I should take College Calculus or AP Statistics. I don't want to have too much on my plate for senior year, but I want to challenge myself. What do you guys think?

Guest Lognarithm

Depending on who you ask, AP Stats can be a walk in the park. Also, you have to decide which one you want to do before college - I recommend Calculus, since sometimes people take longer to develop the intuition for it, and you can learn the majority of what you would need for most statistics through self-study. Also, Calculus bridges the gap between boring algebra and useful math, and if you're good at geometry and trig then you should be set for it.

That's really weird that your school doesn't offer Maths SL. I think that Maths Studies is not useful IF you are studying something related to engineering or science. However, for something like arts who cares what maths you took? But, even then I recommend you do learn Calculus in high school. It can be fun but there is no way it's a "walk in the park" for most people.

Edited by r1111