Group 3: Psychology or History

tehddy

I have to give in my final IB choices soon and I'm currently deciding whether to take psych or history at HL. I'm currently taking both Psych and History (at GCSE level) and doing better in Psych (A*/7) than in History (A/6). I like both subjects equally, but I think I also have to consider my final GPA and course. I also find History slightly harder than Psych.

Here are my choices:

HL:

Eng Lit.

Art

Psych or History

SL:

Biology

Math Studies (hahaha)

French B

I'm still unsure about what I'm going to take for university:

Art or Psychology or International Relations/Human Rights

I think I can help you out with your decision :)

At my school Psych is a Group 6 subject so I have friends who do both HL History and HL Psych - I just do HL History but I've gone to some of the HL Psych classes and also discussed Psych with my friends :)

Here's what I have to say:

History HL has a LOT of content, and the essays are marked at a very high standard.

Also, if you look at this http://www.ibo.org/facts/statbulletin/dpstats/documents/may_2012_statistical_bulletin.pdf, it tells you that in May 2012, 2% of people taking History HL got a 7 whereas 4% of people taking Psych HL got a 7 (showing that Psych HL is easier).

The IAs for both subjects require lots of long-term work, and both subjects have 3 exam papers which are difficult.

I will say this: no one in my History HL class is getting a 7 on their essays, but half of the Psych HL class is getting a 7.

Also IB Psych is incredibly useful if you plan to take Psychology at uni.

History HL can be useful for International Relations, but it depends on what you're doing now and what electives you want to take at uni.

For example, I'm doing 20th century Europe for my IB History exam but in Uni I may want to study the history of the Middle East.

My overall recommendation, especially since you are currently doing better at Psych than History, is to take Psych :)