Theory of Knowledge Textbooks!

Survivor Rob

Does anyone know of any decent TOK textbooks/books?

I'll start off by recommending:

The Enterprise of Knowledge:

A Source Book for Theory of Knowledge

John L. Tomkinson

Its good for all the TOK you need throughout the course.

Of course TOK is about learning as an individual etc etc but I still think people need some guidance?

yes the alchin book is amazing!!!

the new one has a a pic of the world and some stars on it :P

my friend who relied solely on the book got a C, and this is because he doesn't understand one word of TOK. He's one of those science people who understands things put out as "1+1=2" but can't really question the truth behind it :( so him getting a C is like a miracle :punish:

We have no prescribed text, and I personally cannot see the need for one. I wrote a good essay, and I did a good presentation. Our TOK teachers are, by general agreement, absolutely shocking. They have proved to be good at predicting grades, however.

So long as you have a list of the ways and problems of knowing, and the areas of knowledge, I think that it is possible to do well.

Maybe it's because I've never used one, but I can't understand what a textbook could possibly do to help with TOK and the existential crisis that it seems to offer! The texts that I have seen all seem to be pretty large - what do they contain?

We have no prescribed text, and I personally cannot see the need for one. I wrote a good essay, and I did a good presentation. Our TOK teachers are, by general agreement, absolutely shocking. They have proved to be good at predicting grades, however.

So long as you have a list of the ways and problems of knowing, and the areas of knowledge, I think that it is possible to do well.

Maybe it's because I've never used one, but I can't understand what a textbook could possibly do to help with TOK and the existential crisis that it seems to offer! The texts that I have seen all seem to be pretty large - what do they contain?

Well the textbooks cover all the TOK material, but usually leave you to do the deep thinking and essay writing, i personally think that you need some sort of other source not just teachers. That way you can be sure they are teaching you right even if they are shocking!

The course is meant to teach you where knowledge comes from, how you gain it and whether or not your supposed to consider everything as a truth. On the first day of TOK I remember my teacher telling us "till today, you've been taught what your teachers have been teaching you and considering it the complete truth. From today on you will start questioning your teachers!" and she was right, because through TOK she gave us the opportunity to asses knowledges rather than blindly accept it. If your teachers haven't taught you anything other than what the AOKs and WOks, the you've definitely missed out on TOK. I might have gotten a B on my essay, but I was lucky to learn what TOK is really about. Don't get me wrong we were taught all the AOKs and WOks, but we were taught to see what were the strengths and limitations in each, we were also taught why we would accept certain knowledge as truth and others not so much... so really makes you think :yes:

And just to make something absolutely clear.

TOK isn't a textbook subject. It's not the end of the world if you don't have a good textbook. It should be a talking class more than a notetaking class. The book is there to guide you, but your teacher should be able to do that anyway. The way you develop your critical thinking skills in TOK is practice and that only comes with talking and writing about it, not reading some other people's words about it and memorising (that would be irony...kind of defeats the point of the subject :yes: )

Michael Woodman you mean? I think Lc had him for classes at OSC. Right?

:huh: he's an English genius! if it weren't for him I wouldn't have dreamed of a 6 in English A1 SL!!!

plus I tried side tracking him into talking a bit of TOK with me.. but he wouldn't give in :lol: he was too focused hehe

• 1 month later...
Guest fierybabe14
Nicholas Alchin's Theory of Knowledge!!! It's a great book! It's purple with a picture of a dandelion on the front. I :rofl: it.

Ditto, best book invented for TOK, has everything I personally needed in it

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Sykoelf

In my class we use Theory of Knowledge for the IB Diploma by Richard van de Lagemaat. It's blue with a picture of The Thinker on the front.

I like it well enough, it's fun to read and hits all the main topics of TOK, but it doesn't have a section about the essay writing part though.

Edited by Sykoelf

Guest Mr Canada
In my class we use Theory of Knowledge for the IB Diploma by Richard van de Lagemaat. It's blue with a picture of The Thinker on the front.

I like it well enough, it's fun to read and hits all the main topics of TOK, but it doesn't have a section about the essay writing part though.

We use the same. I think it covers all parts of TOK, except just the essay but that one the teacher goes through plus it's in the syllabus, really well.

We have two books. One of them is the Tomkinson, and that book makes me so mad. It's the opposite of what's its trying to teach. So much of what it says is obviously biased, and there are SO many typos! There are also random things that make no sense but are used as casual facts, like the report in the mathematics section on women claiming to have been killed by their husbands... are they dead or not!?

It also uses circular reasoning sometimes, I think, and has a tendency to repeat itself over and over, and its examples, while interesting, often are a small portion of a much bigger idea and therefore hides the truth.

Sometimes I don't know whether to laugh at the book or throw it. Maybe the author did that on purpose, so that we'd have to use our TOK skills while reading? It's just plain annoying.

• 2 months later...