Subject Choice for College?

joeking

I'm not sure where I want to study yet.

But, I'm thinking on whether I should change my subject list or not.

Currently:

-Math, Economics, Business (HL)

-Chemistry, Eng LL, Spanish Ab initio

Possibly, would-be:

-Math, Economics, Business, Computer Science (HL)

-Eng LL, Spanish Ab initio.

Reason I'm changing from chem to c.sc is I feel c. sc. is more practical and makes more sense for me. A lot of kids in my school took 4 + HLs. I like computers. I would appreciate your inputs. Do colleges prefer more HLs/ greater scores?

If you feel that it makes more sense to you, then I suggest you go for it. I don't know about computer science as an IB subject, but I would consider whether an interest in computers necessarily translates to an interest in computer science, so you might want to ask around for input from IBers who take computer science (maybe even HL).

As for 4 HLs, don't just base your decision on what others are doing. Since there are quite a few here who are taking 4 HLs, I deduce that it is manageable (probably if you manage your time well which I don't) but as I did not take 4 HLs, I don't have much grounds for saying whether 4 HLs is manageable or not.

Universities usually care about subjects that are related to your course. When I applied for civil engineering to UK, they wanted a 6 for Maths HL (one asked for a 5), 6 for Physics HL (that particular one a 5 for science - so phy/chem/bio). They then want either a 6 or a 5 for another HL. And two wanted 36, two 38, with the exception of a 34. It really didn't seem like they were making it easier for IB people (they want individual scores AND total score). It's conventional for people to take 3 HLs so they don't really ask for a fourth HL. But I suppose if you take a fourth HL that is related and you point out that it is unconventional (possibly challenging) and say that it shows you are willing to accept challenges/work hard or whatever like that, it might give you an edge.

If it feels like the right thing to do, do it, but be aware that many universities do NOT give credits for C.Sc. Instead, i would suggest that you take Physics HL. Physics and Maths HL will give you an amazing preparation to study computer science in University.

I'm planning to study computer science (and maybe double major in molecular biology or materials science) too in uni and i'm taking:

• Maths HL
  • Physics HL
  • ITGS HL
  • Biology HL
  • English lang&lit SL
  • Spanish ab initio

• 4 weeks later...

One of the most important things US universities look for is the rigor of your courseload, so taking 4 HLs is definitely better than taking 3 HLs. That being said, the grades you receive are also of the upmost importance. If taking 4 HLs is too time consuming for you, then it may not be the best choice.