Which, in your opinion, is easier: French HL or History HL?

PeriPeri

Hello all!

So I am having to decide on which IB subjects I would like to take at the higher level. I have decided on Eng. HL, Bio HL and am currently debating whether I should take History HL or French HL....

See, I received good marks in both history and french last year (7 and 6 respectively), but I don't know which one I will score better on during final IB exams.... I love writing essays in history but the sheer AMOUNT of stuff to go through for history HL is intimidating to me....I've heard a lot of horror stories about how hard the history HL exam can be....

And as for French, I love learning languages (yah, I'm a dork), but I am not as fluent as I would like to be. The grammar stuff I think I have a handle on... but I would need to work hard to improve my speaking skills and vocab.... because they mark French HL quite harshly right..? But then again, History HL will require a lot of work as well.....

I am just so confused. My teachers tell me that I should do whatever I think is best, but I really do like both subjects and simply can't decide. So ultimately, at this point in time, the deciding factor(s) will be: what can I score better on? Which can get be better marks? Which one will be easier??

So I want your opinions... which subject would be easier to take? Which one do you think I should take?

any help would be appreciated because I really want (and need!!) help deciding.................

Edited by PeriPeri

I never took french but what I can say is that the difficulty of your courses will also be heavily factored in by the teacher you have.

My history teacher is semi-mad for instance, we have a quiz every class thats graded and involves 15-22+ pages of daily reading! If you really love both of those subjects, why don't you just take them both up for the time being and then decide later?

• Like 1

History HL has a less than 3% chance of getting a 7 in, statistically speaking. I don't know the stats for French HL, but you can look it up.

I personally enjoyed History HL but my genuine interest in the subject really helped.

If you're better with languages and can read and write fairly effectively in French, take French HL. If you like History and would genuinely enjoy the HL option that your school is studying (it'll probably be History of the Americas), then go for History HL.

Both subjects require exam writing technique, so the course with a better teacher who has a track record for churning out 7s and 6s with his/her students is the safer bet.

It seems you have equal interest and equal chances to do well in both subjects.

Why not take a different tack in your thinking and decide in terms, not of ease but of your personal education and growth? For example, Which will do most to stretch your potential? will be harder for you to study later? Will, with deeper appreciation, give you more pleasure, now and later?

History demands masses of reading and French a good grasp of grammar and idiom. Which would you prefer to spend more time on and acquire a more intimate understanding of?

Otherwise, I agree with the others: take both and make up your mind on how you feel.

Edited by Blackcurrant