HL Arts mental health theme - overshare?

don't you wish

Heyo, IBers. I'm wondering about my Art theme, because I want to do a body of work in Year 2 that deals with my story of mental health and abuse, all those icky things. I want to exorcise those particular demons, so to speak. Would this be an overshare? Is it just too heavy a subject matter for art class, or do you think examiners would be okay with that? The art is going to get made either way, it's just the question of whether it gets used for IB or not. Thanks preemptively for the help, team.

• 3 months later...

It is a very good idea, I would recommend you thought to make your pieces metaphoric and expressive with mood and atmosphere. Painting your experiences figuratively might be considered as an easy way out.

You clearly have a lot to display, you should make sure you make the most of it.

Looking up Neo Rauch might be interesting for you. The painter illustrates the atmosphere and mood of the former East Germany. The nonsense, lack of progress, dysfunction is depicted very strongly not through literally painting ugly streets and ruined blocks, but by clashing characters, which have nothing to do with one another, who are self-absorbed in their own action, who display lack of cooperation.

Painting scenes, which correspond atmospherically with your personal history is something I know for a fact IB loves ;).

Hope it helped

Good luck