Extra exercises

Maks123456

Hi,

I'm doing Math HL and my final exams are in May 2014.

I'm wondering where you guys practiced questions from. My HL class does not like the book we have and it is certainly not enough in terms of exercises. We've covered past papers, so that is not much of an option either.

My question is - how did you prepare for your exams? Do you know of any online websites that provide similar exercises to IB's that I can practice?

Thanks!

Try buying different textbooks? I've kinda been using the Oxford (Roberts, Mackenzie) textbook, which has a lot of good exercises.. but really rubbish answers (because a lot of them are wrong). Also the Haese & Harris textbook has a lot of exercises.. So consider buying another HL Maths textbook?

Do remember that there are lots of past papers! You can find them going all the way back to like 1995 (even if the syllabus/papers were a bit different then, a lot of the questions are still relevant and useful). And there's also different timezone papers, so there's really a lot of past papers to use..

I find my textbooks and past paper questions are more than enough to help me prepare. I also read through my notes and the textbook to familiarise myself with the concepts themselves. Unfortunately I don't know any online websites but.. hope this helps? :)

Edited by bluedino

which book are you using at school?

Firstly download all past papers...they are sooooo many and you can do a lot of work...

Also a very nice book is the one of Haese and Harris. you can find it online http://www.ops.org/high/central/Portals/0/STAFF_FOLDERS/T_SAND_CRAIG/IB%20HL%20Mathematics%20Textbook.pdf (just googled it and thats what i found) and google for the solutions as well

but i dont think is for the new syllabus 2014 ..but its ok as the new syllabus differs a little bit from the old one..

Also a good book (more difficult) is mathematics higher level Fabio Cirrito , but it is not easy to find it online..

Past papers and textbooks

I have 12 math textbook 6 of them are for the ib diploma. The Cambridge, IBID and Pearson one have the best questions in my opinion. Haese and Harris is more for SL Math IMO. The exercises in that book are boring and repetitive but it has really good explanations.

But remember that when you solve a problem you need to know how you solved it. Looking at the marksheme and remembering the method will get you nowhere. Spend your time trying to apply your mathematical knowledge instead of taking the easy way and looking at the answears and you will get better and faster.

Don't use study guides! Seriously you will get nowhere with a math study guide