Should I try Maths HL?

olazzz

I just started the IB programme and chose Math SL. But I want to study architecture or economics, so should I try Math HL? I am definately not a math genious and I would probably spend much time learning for Math HL but I guess it would be very well seen by universities. I just want to know if math hl is only for math geniouses and if an quite good person on SL would cope?

Maths HL is quite a bit different from SL from what I've gathered, not only in terms of content but the questions are typically a lot harder. You will probably need to be fairly confident in SL if you want to move up to HL, though it should be doable if you practice regularly and such.

Try take it as a fourth HL and see how it goes, that's the best way to find out really. It probably will be rather overwhelming and such at the beginning, but I'd recommend sticking with it for a while first, then deciding on what you want to do. Good luck! :)

• Like 2

I don't know about architecture requirements, but I am not a maths genius and am doing maths HL and not dying :P

Granted I am just passing with 4s I am pretty happy in it. Seeing as you have only just begun, I think that it may be worthwhile to move to HL... try it out for some time (maybe 3 months or so) and see whether you are at a stage where you can't cope at all or whether you are managing.

If you can't cope, you will have done all the stuff the SL students do but just heaps more so you wont miss out on anything. A friend of mine moved from a HL maths to SL and her grade went from a 4 in HL to a 7 in SL!

• Like 1