Evaluation of my Uni choices? (Applying as international student for medicine)

jonathanlai928

Hi all,

I'm an international student and I'm really worried to apply for med school since I am not that 'academically strong' compared to other applicants for medicine. Also, I am aware that it's extremely competitive for international students.

What Unis do you guys think tend to weigh the personal statement above other factors? I'm trying to apply to Unis that want a more rounded applicant since I do many sports and have good experience! Any suggestions would be great and also how am I looking as in do you guys think I have a good chance considering my personal statement is good.

Ib points predicted total - 38 (39 hopefully if I can convince my teacher that I am capable of getting a 6 in Maths)

Hl Psych 7

Hl Bio 7

Hl Chem 6

Sl Maths 5

Sl French 5

Sl English L&L 6

UKCAT: 655

As of now my choices are:

Manchester

Leeds

BSMS

UEA

Bristol (virology and immunology 5th choice through UCAS)

I think they all put a lot of weight on the personal statement, to be honest. Grades tend to be relatively high across the board and so it's the PS which is the discriminator as to whether they invite you for interview or not. If your PS is good as you say, then I wouldn't worry. I haven't looked them up but I assume those Universities you listed all have 38 as at least their minimum requirement, so that should be fine.

To be honest, lots of it is about your personal statement and having good work experience etc. - then a big pinch of luck! Nothing wrong with your choices. The only thing which is a bit off about your subjects is a lack of rounded-ness in your HLs which is a bit unusual for an IB applicant (all three of your HLs are sciences to one degree or another), but if that has any bearing on your application, I've no idea. I know some places look for roundedness but I couldn't tell you which! The only ones I know of, you've already not applied to so it's all fine. All medical schools are competitive, so - good luck!

• Like 1