How to apply to US/UK with predicted scores?

danny1996

Hey all!

I'm an IB2 senior. I want to apply to medical schools in the UK in my UCAS application. I know that I have to do the UKcat test to apply to a medical school in the UK. I also know that the deadline for med students to submit their UCAS applications is Oct 15, 2013. Most of the medical schools release their required classes and grades, but in our school we do not get our predicted scores until after the mock exams so how can I apply if I do not have any kind of IB grade? Do I have to apply with my school's regular american diploma?

I will also apply to some US universities during October/November, but not for medicine. I will study Biochemistry or Sports Science if I go to the US to study. How can I apply for those too without having any official predicted IB grades? Do I have to use my american diploma?

My classes:

Math Studies SL

Chemistry HL

Biology HL

English Lit. HL

Arabic B SL

ITGS SL

Sending the predicted grades is the job of the referee for your UCAS application. Mostly you can choose teacher as your referee. Your referee will send your predicted grades to UCAS via email. Look for good tempered and your fav teacher so that they could write good things about you. :D I am still looking for one. :)

Edited by akash jishnu

Depending on where you want to apply, you may also have to sit the BMAT (or you can avoid the UKCAT) - I'm not sure if you've already missed the deadline for the BMAT or not, but if you have then it slightly restricts your options. The UKCAT is required by many more Universities than the BMAT, but I'd get on with it quickly because you haven't got long if you want to apply for this October!!

Anyway you need to get your school to give you predictions based on your performance thus far if your mocks will be too late. You need predictions.

The US high school diploma type stuff is worth about as much to UK universities as sending them the sticker you got for being a good kid at the dentist, so ignore that. Ask your teachers to give you predictions - you may wish to offer to sit the mock exams earlier than everybody else or to sit slightly different mocks if it will help them give you predictions.

Sandwich has answered your questions about UK Med Schools.

Insofar as the US is concerned, some (like NYU) do take account of your predicted scores, but most of them don't really care for the IB. They will look at your grades from Grade 9 to the present and consider your scores throughout. They will also consider your extracurricular activities, volunteering and other work experiences, etc. All of that combined will determine whether they want you as a student at their college. You may also need to do the SATs/ACT for US universities. So you might want to do a bit more research into that.