Do I need HL Physics to study Computer Science?

vals

Hi!
While reading HKUST's School-Specific Requirements for Computer Science candidates, I came across this:

School of Engineering Senior Level Mathematics, and One Senior Level subject from Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Computer Studies, Statistics

Do they mean "HL" by Senior Level? What if I don't want to take Physics at HL, after all?

The thing is that to get admitted into my IB school you have to pass an exam in the subjects you've taken at HL (in my case English A, French B, Mathematics and - last but not least - Physics). I'm thinking of dropping down to Physics SL, to have a "lighter" curriculum.

I'm afraid I wouldn't pass my entry exam and I'd get rejected because of Physics, since the exam programme is the whole three-year programme people usually undertake in regular Polish schools, and I've already flunked an exam because of Physics at another school...

So what do I do?

Or could I possibly take up Biology at HL, instead of Physics?

You should probably email the university asking if by "Senior Level" they actually mean "HL". If you want to study computer science, maybe Physics HL would be more useful than French B HL? That would depend on your level of French and Physics, I guess :) You probably could take Bio instead, but talk to your IB coordinator or email the uni - they should know!

• Like 1

I totally agree with you about leaning towards the lighter curriculum, but if you want to study engineering, it is a much better idea to stick to Physics.

Then again, if you can get away with doing French B HL instead of Physics HL for engineering, take the chance.

But I agree with Sofia - email the people with your doubts, they'd know a lot better than us; and they'll clear your doubts a lot more satisfactorily. :)

Depends a lot on the university, really. In the UK for example, most top universities do require taking Maths and a "relevant subject" in HL, which typically is a science. That isn't however the case for all universities of course, as there are universities in and outside the UK which may accept you without taking either of the subjects at HL.

As for "senior level" and such, it's just a general requirement that they've posted, which presumably applies for other systems. You'll have to ask them specifically if they accept SL physics as said, but it sounds like biology HL would be fine, since it's on their list.