Preparation for HL Maths

Hi everybody, I'm new here from today. I hope you can help me in order to prepare my IB Programme. I've chosen to do Maths HL and everybody said me that is impossibile, but I'm good at Maths and I chose to try! Now I want to study something before september in order to have an idea of the programme. What can you suggest to study(for Maths HL)??

thank you everybody :)

sorry for the title but I can't change it now!

Edited by carlodorna

Hi everybody, I'm new here from today. I hope you can help me in order to prepare my IB Programme. I've chosen to do Maths HL and everybody said me that is impossibile, but I'm good at Maths and I chose to try! Now I want to study something before september in order to have an idea of the programme. What can you suggest to study(for Maths HL)??

thank you everybody :)

sorry for the title but I can't change it now!

just wait until school starts and attend a few HL math classes.. you can always drop down to SL in a few weeks.. don't worry about it for now..

Hi man!

Current HL Maths student here. The first four-five months of the year you´ll think that HL Maths shouldnt be in the IB, in other words, you could get a grade 4 in a trig. test after studying 30 hours for it. But, on the other hands other topics are easier depending on weather you like them or not, those will encourage you not to drop to SL. But I can assure you, that at the end of the year you will have a 5 or even a 6 if you keep constant work, lets say 1 hour every two days, besides homework. I started maths with a prediction of low 4, and at the end of the year I got 6 higher, so, DONT DROP IT, STICK WITH IT, universities take bigger considerations in HL Maths, and they will help a lot in the IA and maybe in your EE, depending on your topic.

In response to what doing over the summer, I wouldnt do much, just do a revision of the maths of year before a week before you start school, as they might make you do a placement test to see if you would fit in HL, but dont worry, those tests are of basic knowledge equations.

So...Good luck and dont get to stressed with them!

Edited by Superfrank

Guest Maitri Fischer

Hi There,

I would recommend enjoying your summer too, but if you are really keen on it and want to prepare yourself, I can give you some great text books in pdf format.

I have a pre-IB HL maths book that is used for students in 10th grade who want to enter IB HL maths

and I also have an IB HL Maths textbook that is used in many IB classrooms

Both of them are by Haese and Harris Publications and are great math books that you can easily use to teach yourself. Lot's of examples and good explanations.

Of course I would first advocate that you buy them online

1. http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Diploma-MYP5-Plus-International/dp/1876543892/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1375952610&sr=8-5&keywords=haese+harris+mathematics+10

2. http://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-International-Student-Haese-Harris/dp/1876543094/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1375952575&sr=8-2&keywords=haese+harris+mathematics

But if you are still keen on a pdf version, send me an e-mail and i'll be happy to send them to you

Hi!

Like others have said, seriously- enjoy your time, especially if you're good at maths. Though if you're really keen on starting, I think you should start on some of the harder topics that you won't have time to study for during your year. I'm referring to trig-

you could get a grade 4 in a trig. test after studying 30 hours for it.

this happened to me, heh. :(

I think you should start taking a look at trig, it won't help till you actually get to the trig module, but when you do get there- it's going to be a real help if you know what you're doing. Then again I could be biased, but only two people in our year managed to get over 70% for that one, dear god.

Take a look at Khan Academy for trig, it's a real help!

Also make sure your foundations are very strong, make sure you know exponent laws, how to divide fractions, manipulate equations, simplify, etc, etc- I spent a week re-learning all the basics somewhere in between module 1, it was a real help (I was pretty bad at maths before taking the course).

Yeah, that's about it (imo). I wish you luck! Make sure you study for your unit tests and do well in them! :)

Edited by unicornication

• 3 weeks later...