Geography - what are the differences between IA (fieldwork) and EE?

Nicanniko

Hi everyone,

I am thinking about a topic for my Extended Essay in geography and at the same time working on my fieldwork (being also at the stage of specifying topic and methods). I feel a bit confused about the differences between IA and EE. Obviously, they differ in length and character; fieldwork is told to be just "fieldwork report" while EE is suposed to be more discursive. But... What does that mean in practice? They're both analytical, based on research and primary data.

I'd really appreciate some explanation :)

I did my extenden in Geo based on primary as well as secondary data. I was researching on how the CBD had changed from 1890-2010 and thus using maps, pictures and gathered data.

The difference for you will be that you can choose any topic that you like (i did urban environment) and it will basicly be an extended IA with alot of focus upon your process of how you arrived to your conclusion (long discussion)

Thanks a lot :)

I've also talked to my teacher, and when he told be that EE can ba actually based on secondary data I was so surprised! - That changes everything ;) I must think up something really interesting...

But now, time to enjoy vacation :heart: Good holidays to everyone!

Edited by Nicanniko