ideas for maths investigation for internal assessment

modern.rocky

We cannot suggest topics for you, since this is an investigation and you're required to think of a topic yourself. The best way to begin thinking of a topic is to list broad areas of math that you're interested in. Are you interested in calculus? Statistics? Sets? Once you pick an area or two you like, start thinking of smaller topics that you can do that come off that. For example if I really liked calculus and wanted to do an investigation where I used calculus to optimize something, I could come up with a topic by going narrower and narrower until I had a suitable topic, such as calculus --> optimization with calculus --> optimizing area --> finding the largest dimensions for building a house given specific parameters. Obviously don't do that, since it's simple, but you get the idea.

• Like 1

This is a massively useful link to the teacher support material for 2014 IAs (hopefully this link works, if not try reading this page which is already on this forum). It has sample topics with feedback. Whilst it can't give you a topic directly, it might inspire you. Also, I was under the impression that in this new IA model your teacher is meant to be helping you find topics for your IA by either giving you a stimulus word or by pointing you in different directions. Whilst I don't think that's mandatory, maybe your teacher would be willing to recommend some topics that might make for a good IA.

• Like 1