Math IA Help?

Dhairyya Singh

Hey Everyone!

I have just started with IBDP Year II and am part of the first batch of IB students in out school. I am very interested in encryption and ciphers and am thinking about choosing the security of the AES encryption cipher to be the subject of my IA. I will make certain changes and tweaks in the cipher and explore how that affects the security.

Is this is good topic to explore?

Will it be too difficult to get data?

I'm not speaking with absolute certainty, but from what I've heard there are certain parts in encryption cypher that may make it difficult. As for how good a topic it is I believe it is not overused but also not without any IA's done on it. Then, the fact that yo use AES encryption may make it better in terms it will be somewhat unique (from what I've heard IAs of that type are done on more traditional encryption methods)

All in all it depends on how much time you want to spend on it. If you are SL or studies and don't really want to spend a lot of time on it, then I'd suggest a different topic all together ( π number, fibbonachi sequence etc) as it'd take some time to learn all the math required for you to get a good grade. However, if you're HL then I'd be no problem I guess (unless you're really short on time though).

Hope I helped :)