Art theme help

i have selected fantasy coming into reality as my theme. the problem is that i dont know what qualifies as part of the theme anymore
can i show the lessons you learn from stories, what the meaning of these stories is in real life and what aspects of life do they portray?
could i then relate it to my own and other peoples wishes and dreams. could i also show fantasy peersonified like in childhood (innocence ,belief in everything etc). i seriously dont plan o drawing unicorns vampires etc for the rest of ib art. i also want to show a bit of my own culture would folk tales qualify?

As long as you can relate it to your overall theme in some way, you can use anything you want really. Scoring well in visual arts requires experimenting and going off in directions that aren't all obvious or expected. All of those things you listed sound like a good start for your theme, and folk tales definitely qualify.

As long as you can relate it to your overall theme in some way, you can use anything you want really. Scoring well in visual arts requires experimenting and going off in directions that aren't all obvious or expected. All of those things you listed sound like a good start for your theme, and folk tales definitely qualify.

I completely agree. Even though I haven't done DP Art, my MYP Art teacher also taught Art HL in my school and he was pretty cool about giving the students their freedom as long as they could relate to their theme. Plus, IB teaches how to create relations between almost anything, anywhere.

To add on to your ideas, you could literally show fantasy moving into reality. For example: Every woman is Cinderella or any other Disney princess as each lady has her own happy ending after overcoming a number of difficulties.

However, if you do limit yourself, you could still improvise. There was an Art HL student whose theme I'm guessing was dolphins. She created 3 different pieces depicting dolphins using a standard palette which looked wonderful. Another structure was made using Styrofoam dolphins joined together at their fins. The structure was hung during the Visual Arts exhibition and I'm pretty sure she got a 7. Bottom line - You can do absolutely anything as long as it looks extraordinary and eye-catching.

• 4 weeks later...

You no longer need a theme in IB art, as of our graduating class, I believe. However, your projects tend to fit some sort of theme naturally. In respect to your project, if you want to maintain a consistent and coherent set of studio pieces, that should be fine. As long as it loosely fits into it, it'll work. IB art is about exploring and expanding your studio work - experimenting! But you don't need a set theme anyway, so it should be just fine. Hope you're enjoying your summer.... :)