Highschool GPA

kehsibad

I have a few questions regarding how colleges recalculate our GPA's.

I've seen on other blogs, where people have really high GPA's (>4) because of the AP classes they take. My question here is regarding how colleges weigh IB classes. Do they weigh only the Higher Level classes or both?

I would appreciate it if i could know the weighing scale for all IB classes, and whether freshman year is accounted for in the GPA for the following colleges -

1. Cornell University

2. Carnegie Mellon

3. UC Berkeley

4. University of Pennsylvania

Thank You

I apologise before I even start that I don't know about those universities, and am not going to be of much help.

But from what I know here in Australia, they will look at what score out of 7 you got for the pre-requisites for that uni course, and they will look at your overall IB score out of 45. They will not just look at your HL marks, although that may be the case if your HL subjects are the pre-requisites to the course.

There are some universities that actually specify a minimum IB score (you can check on their websites) to get into a certain degree or they might be universities that first convert the score to another value. You might want to check with on the university website first. If not, I can't really help.

What I know is a rough idea of how they convert it in Australia but that doesn't help you. I hope I did somewhat help though! :)

There is no way that universities "convert" your IB grades. They just appreciate the fact that it is a completely different system and curriculum and that they are graded on a different basis (i.e mark boundaries, IA's, etc.)

Therefore, pretty much all unis will set like a minimum requirement of IB points. From the list you've given (most of which are Ivy League), a minimum of usually 38 points is set for consideration to the uni. Then some unis also put added restrictions such as achieving a 7,6,6 in your higher levels.

While they do only look at IB points, most unis do have a system of converting IB scores to regular GPA. I know from personal experience because when I applied to Georgia Tech, my college counselor was asked to convert the IB scores into the regular American GPA.

The colleges you listed generally dont specify a minimum IB score on their website but its obvious they require above a 37 atleast. And most don't actually have a specific requirement for your HLs, but you'll get IB credit for HL classes you do get 6's or 7's in. And yes, freshmen year is accounted for in the GPA, and each college actually has their own method of converting IB scores to their GPA

Hope that helped! :)